View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 10:28 AM   #11
Doug

The new MB engine option may make this a much more viable choice, as that is a 15% increase in torque. That's one heck of an improvement; 860 foot pounds just doesn't cut it. Some of that is influenced by the area in which you live/drive. The midwest does not have the long pulls of the West and parts of the East, where slowing down on upgrades is not merely frustrating, but makes one a safety hazard.

I just drove from Ellensburg to Brunswick GA for training, and would have preferred to have done in it in a truck conversion. I took two different routes, partly for the experience of seeing places I had not been before. Having seen I70 west of Denver, and being familiar with the areas I cover along I90 going into Montana and Wyoming, where I would do most of my vacationing, I think my rig will be a Class 8, using a C15, and at least a 10 speed autoshift.

This is also based partly on the fact that I intend to be more or less full time, even if I am stil doing the same job(s), and to reduce my house ownership accordingly. I will want the added weight capacity for storage batteries, water capacity, fuel capacity and the like. I will probably have a good gun safe in it, and my preferred dog breeds are big, so I want lots of room. I am big, and want to have exercise equipment and the like, a real bathroom and shower, a King bed (130 pound dogs take a lot of room), etc.

If I were in the midwest still, the M2 might work, especially as a part time rig. For what Bill is trying to do, based on his location and experiences, it should be very satisfactory (although with that little motor, I'd go with the 10 Auto at a minimum; it will need all the help it can get).
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote