View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #61
Ran D. St. Clair

Water is life…

If I am going to make rational decisions about plumbing in general then it is important to understand how I intend to use it. This is the part where a stealth camper strongly diverges from a conventional vacation use RV. It also differs from a full timer RV that assumes regular access to hookups and a sewage dump. Some of those vehicles become essentially immobile homes with more or less permanent hookups. Camp grounds are great, and I expect to treat myself from time to time, but I don’t want to spend the money all the time.

By comparison to many of you with 300 gallon fresh water, grey water, and black water tanks, my needs are microscopic. My fresh water and grey water tanks will be essentially 5 gallon buckets with removable lids for ease of cleaning. They will be securely mounted but removable for easy filling and dumping. Depending on the situation a grey water tank will not even be necessary. The whole system will be gravity fed with no need for pumps.

I don’t plan to have a black water tank. I don’t know where I would dump a black water tank if I had one. I intend to use an incinerating toilet system as often advocated by Geofkaye, though I am considering the SR5-P12 propane fired toilet from ECOJOHN rather than the all electric INCINOLET. There is still plumbing involved though as there is intake and exhaust air as well as propane in my case.

I do not intend to have an on board shower or even a hot water tank. Warm or hot water can be made on the stove whenever necessary. I figure not having a shower avoids a whole slew of problems associated with internal humidity and venting, dry rot, the floor space required for a water tight enclosure, pumps, hot water tanks, the energy to drive it all, and most of all the large volume of water that I don’t have anyway. Don’t get me wrong, I like a long hot shower as much as the next guy, but campground showers or other facilities will have to do.

This thread is about designing and building a stealth camper, not the techniques for staying clean and healthy with just a very small amount of water. I expect any intelligent person could figure it out, just like our great grandparents did. If you are at all curious about the lifestyle I suggest the following web site:

http://cheaprvliving.com/index.html

I should also give credit to Bob Wells, who gave me the inspiration for this possible life path. Some of you may not think much of these ideas. I hope you always have choices you like better.

To be continued…
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote