Thread: Feedback Please
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Radman

Gene,
Help me understand what your Freight Liner Service Manager is trying to say.

An “Over The Road” (OTR) Class 8 truck that is made into a Motor Home, also called a Truck Conversion or TC, should cost more to service than a standard or basic OTR.

The only differences I can see are possibly:
1. Wheelbase is longer and it takes more room to move around
2. Drive train is extended by usually one additional carrier bearing and an extra shaft.
3. Cleanliness. Your cab might be “too nice” and require extra care but not likely.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh what else am I forgetting? The dealer should not be concerned with any of the typical MH issues:
1. Limited access for pushers
2. Limited or no documentation on closely coupled sub systems in the engine compartment
3. Servicing any sub-systems like Generators ETC

I think this guy may be yanking your chain or just following orders without really thinking about it.

I would first ask to see the standard published service rates from Freightliner and from the shop itself to see if you’re realling dealing with different rates for OTR vs MH and then start the discussion about the TC vs MH vs OTR differences.

I personally stay away from the KW dealer here because of high published hourly service rates. I go to out of town to the more rural setting of a local truck repair facility. They are always fascinated by the truck and I seem to get good service at a reasonable price.

Rad