View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #38
Ran D. St. Clair

All, I’m glad to see you are still following along. I must confess, I am about 10 posts ahead of this thread. I could post them all at once, but that would kill all this good back and forth. I will get to some of your suggestions about batteries and what not soon. In the mean time, I am not ignoring you.

Bob86ZZ4, I am planning to have a switch to connect the house batteries and the starter batteries in parallel. Unlike a vacation RV I won’t be traveling all that much, so charging all the batteries by running the engine would mostly be a waste. Most of my short trips will barely put enough energy back into the starting battery to make up for what was lost starting the engine.

Solar panels are a big topic. I could cover the entire top of my truck with them and it still wouldn’t make a dent in my total energy needs. It would mostly be an expensive social statement. I think a small solar panel is a good idea for an occasional use RV as an easy way to keep the batteries topped off when not in use. I also think they have a place in a fixed point application where grid power is not available, like a remote cabin in the woods. The last I heard, it takes more energy to make a solar panel than it will generate during its entire life time of use. The engineer in me cringes at the false economy created by tax breaks and what not because it just makes no sense.

Geofkaye, I would love to have a large generator and a small one as well, but I don’t have room for the larger one, let alone both. I am with you on using plugs and receptacles with no transfer switch, as you will soon read.

Doc Weaver, “What's wrong with tying all the batteries together?” Nothing if it works for you. It sounds like your DC needs are small and your truck starting batteries large. The risk is that you could run your starting batteries down and not be able to start your truck. I have never tried to jump a large truck, but I am guessing my little subcompact would have a hard time of it. Beyond that, by drawing your starter batteries down even half way and then charging them back up again you are shortening their life somewhat. Perhaps you don’t do it that often so in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter very much.

More later...
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote