View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
geofkaye

......in the "old days" we used to use lead foil on the floor of a Bus/Hearsts/MH to cover up the noise.....now that is not considered cool/legal/GREEN/healthy at all-even though we covered it with roll rubber and bonded it to the metal all around all 4 sides....times have changed....there are some expensive methods of eliminating noise on the market now.....but follow DOC Weaver's common scene approach and you have the same thing only at 5-10% of the commercial price-Doc understands sound [likes of which, I will never hear again] more than most understand what they eat for breakfast......some of the newer sound deadening materials are running upwards of $7.50 a sq.ft.....forgetaboutthat! If you want to learn about sound abatement I'd suggest you build a small lead box-drop a 6vt buzzer with batteries on and put the lead lid on....NO SOUNDS AT ALL.... When I was in S.E Asia there was a need to have meetings in rooms that voices couldn't be heard or broadcast from....the use of lead foil was very common and that is where I learned from the install crew how to control noise and radio interference......neat-but useless in civilian life-till now...Would I have lead in my vehicle now?....I have a lead foil floor in my Dodge PU since '92 and don't have any elevated lead levels.....but will remove it when it comes time to let it go.......geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote