View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Bob86ZZ4

Default New steer tires, woohoo!

I've been making payments on my coach for a bit over 3 years now. It's always ridden quite rough up front in the cab. I just assumed that's the way they ride. I've only driven one other truck and not very far or fast in that one so didn't have anything to base it on. My son is a truck driver and I've ridden in his truck and it's not smooth either. Anyhow, last fall I decided to get new steers this spring since the steers on my truck were 9 years old. The treads were very deep and looked evenly worn (if you didn't look too close) and the sidewalls didn't have too much cracking. But I figured the age was enough that I should buy new ones. I drove the truck about 20 miles to the tire shop so I had a fresh feel for how bumpy it rides. I had bought a set of dynabeads last fall in preparation for new tires. Dynabeads are supposed to be good for balancing the tires, google them. The tire guy liked that I could lift the front off the ground so he didn't have to jack it (leveling jacks are great). When he peeled the tires off the rims there was no sign of any balancing product in them! Most places use a powder type stuff I guess made up of crushed plastic or something. None in my tires. Then he showed me how messed up the wear was on one of them. With the tire off so I could get a good look at it from a distance I could see that. They were also mismatched brand tires, same size though. I never liked that they were different brands. Not good on same axles.

Mounted up brand new Dunlop SP160's in 11R22.5 size, H rated (something like 6600 lbs. per tire I think). I told my tire guy I wanted tires made in America. These Dunlops are. Popped the bags of Dynabeads in before seating them.

Drove back the 20 highway miles with a huge! smile. Wow, the difference is amazing. Those old tires were WAY out of balance. I'm very excited. We're heading to Ohio next week and this is going to make it soo much nicer. I think the shop charged me something like $460 per tire mounted up. They told me the old tires were worth nothing since they were over 5 years old. The whole charge card bill was something like $940 I think.

Thanks for listening.