View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
BravestDog

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy57PkUp:
would this amount of overhand present a big problem on steep driveways and sich like that?
From the experience I have with smaller trucks and trailers, I'm constantly worried about hitting something when backing or sideswiping something or dragging the middle or tail ends on inclines/declines...class 8's are so much bigger than what I drive. Wonder what the ground clearance is on an rig in comparison to a smaller vehicle. 4wd truck brochures show specs on some of these issues. Can you transfer that to a bigger rig if you have the dimensions? It becomes a math formula with angles.

Would be interesting if Class 8's are to easier to park because they had cool technology like cameras and lights so you could see all over thereby making it safer.

You have got to be very careful of where you park, have another person looking as you pull in and out, or cameras all over the rig...or you may get lucky and never hit anything, but if you park in the city or where there are a lot of obstacles...it's just a matter of time before you hear a crunch or shudder and you get out and look at the damages and feel like something expensive just got damaged...and want to leave before the police arrive and charge you for smashing their pole.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote