Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #1

Comments?

I like the walk on roof and the liftgate as a outdoor platform. It's always nice to be above the crowds.

It's pretty close to what I would consider buying, except the price is a bit high for me...

Like the idea of junk in the back, people and dogs in the front...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Custom-Motorhome-Ga...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #2

......"I built it".....and so who is "I"-If geof had built it -geof would have priced it reasonably-never mentioned that geof has been into the engine and put more pix out there with more detail.......geof is old and a gimp but still good lookin,rich and smart!....enough to let someone who knows what they are doing to write the ad for Ebay......the ad kinda took the "shine off' the motorhome- so my first impression is it is a "white elephant".......JMUHO.....geof

Old 03-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #3

The seller says it's built by "Custom Cruiser" and has a lifetime warranty. The warranty is a nice feature, but if you have to travel hundreds or thousands of miles, it's not practical. I wonder if they will honor the warranty at another facility if the distances are too far to drive...?

I like:

1. the idea of having the large windows on the side, hopefully they are on both sides, large sliders or top hinged and swing out to take advantage of natural ventilation when it's available.

2. an upper bunk on each side above the diner and couch. high sleepers are out of the way during the day and can be pulled down at night, (these units look fixed in place). Saves and utilizes unsused space. If you could connect the two upper bunks, you could have a sleeping loft upstairs.

The text says a diner and couch, but the floorplan looks like 2 couches so I guess we stick to the text? If you look carefully at one of the pictures, you can see part of the diner on the passenger side.

If the conversion had slide outs on each side, that would have really opened up the living/eating/sleeping area. More money...

The upper bunk mattress looks like it is about 8-10" thick and sits on top of the frame which looks 6-8" tall. Must be comfy but I think all you really need is a few inches of padding. Thick mattresses take up a lot of unecessary space.

Even a canvas type cot/rack, like the type that the Navy uses on their aircraft carriers are comfy, take up little space. They can be stacked and adjusted depending upon how many guests you have sleeping over...

I'm thinking if the upper bunks folded or lifted upwards and out of the way when not in use...wonder if that would have been a better design and made the inside more open...? Some motorhomes have a bed than is stored against the ceiling and pulls down when you need it.

3. the walk on roof is really cool. would have been nice if it extended the entire conversion lenght, but I guess then you'd have all the railing to store and handle, but I guess you could rail only part of it and then walk in center and don't fall off...

4. Would be nice if the garage portion had either would slats or E-track for tying things to like the inside of a box truck.

5. Maybe more windows in the garage portion so if you are in there working you can see what's happening on the outside.

6. I think it needs a large rear steel bumper so when you hit something or somebody hits you, the damage is minimal to the body and the bumper takes the beating.

The garage and rear lift could double as a dance floor and store the kegs of beer...Bad part is the drunks would fall off the rear and then sue you for your rig...but I guess you could then surrender the rig to them, and attend their party and fall off...and have this perpetual ownership/lawsuit exchange...

I still like it.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #4

Question for you giuys with lots more knowledge of these vehicles. The portion of this vehicle which if I understand it correctly is the length of the garage is all behind the rear wheels. I've read a lot of discussion about dragging the ass end of RVs that have to much of a percentage of the total length behind the rear wheels. If you put a car in there, would this amount of overhand present a big problem on steep driveways and sich like that?
Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy57PkUp:
would this amount of overhand present a big problem on steep driveways and sich like that?
From the experience I have with smaller trucks and trailers, I'm constantly worried about hitting something when backing or sideswiping something or dragging the middle or tail ends on inclines/declines...class 8's are so much bigger than what I drive. Wonder what the ground clearance is on an rig in comparison to a smaller vehicle. 4wd truck brochures show specs on some of these issues. Can you transfer that to a bigger rig if you have the dimensions? It becomes a math formula with angles.

Would be interesting if Class 8's are to easier to park because they had cool technology like cameras and lights so you could see all over thereby making it safer.

You have got to be very careful of where you park, have another person looking as you pull in and out, or cameras all over the rig...or you may get lucky and never hit anything, but if you park in the city or where there are a lot of obstacles...it's just a matter of time before you hear a crunch or shudder and you get out and look at the damages and feel like something expensive just got damaged...and want to leave before the police arrive and charge you for smashing their pole.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #6

......Bravest.....buy the damn thing will you?....the owner needs to retire....geofkaye