Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-16-2006, 07:52 AM   #21

warpath , I think my main problem is I would like to build a truck my wife can drive !
I am probably a little too sensitive when it comes to handeling but I hate to leave anything on the table and I like to make things as good as they can be !

I am thinking about taking some arch out of the front springs ?
My other thought is to add some type of pull spring that would allow me to adj my front ride height with spring tension ( I am thinking torsion in a layout like a sway bar )
I have done this on race cars before but not a truck !

My other thought is to eliminate the axel travel front to rear by floating both ends of the leaf springs and adding very long leading arms or trailing ??
It can be addressed in the steering linkage but I would not trust that type of set up on such a heavy unit ! any opinions ?? thanks t

fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #22

fastlap,
my t2000 is runnung about 12,300 on a 13,000 front axle and i've never a problem with bump steer on my coach. i've got almost 42,000 mies on this and do run faster than some, the ride is good but the impacts at bridge slabs can be intense at speed. i do think that tire aspect ratio can play a part in driving impressions. i'm using 275 X 80 X 22.5 tires. this was a decision for steering response {as best as possible}. oh--- my wife can drive the wheels off of our coach with no problems yet. ---mase

vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:14 PM   #23

....my roll-off wrecker has 2 ea. 1.75 inch dia torsion bars/sway bars from each end of the axel to 1/2" straps to the frame to deal with sway of a high centered loads....like a 7500# pickup on the bed....there is no bumpsteer with the bars....there is some swaying when the road has a deep ware patterns in each lane but I handle it by slowing down some.....I have never driven/ridden in a truck that handles like you describe-If I understand you correctly-I never have had to saw at the steering wheel except for rails in the street.....which are now non existant in Cincinnati-finally.....might have to have some made for your truck-maybe a option from Volvo?....