Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

Default toterhome insurance with a 40ft 5th wheel

I have blue sky. not happy. I park my toterhome and 5th wheel in NY and have them registered in florida. I travel to and from a few times a year. I do travel sometimes with just the toterhome and then other events I use the toterhome and 40ft 5th wheel toy hauler. having trouble finding an insurance company that will insure a toterhome with a 40ft 5th wheel toy hauler. several have flat out said no. suggestions please.
Attached Thumbnails
20160713_123035.jpg   20160715_170922.jpg   20160713_132944.jpg   20160715_173739.jpg  

douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #2

I was talking to my agent about getting an HDT and he said it would be about $1000 a year for insurance. He just quoted it off the top of his head, so I have nothing to prove one way or another, but State Farm apparently has no problem writing a policy.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:22 PM   #3

I have state farm on my mdt toter. When I bought it, it was just a cab chassis. Told my (long time) agent what I was building, he kind of scratched his head, called it a box truck, and assured me that any attached trailers were covered under the truck liability policy (full trailer coverage is a separate policy of course). My premium is about $600 per half, and is also rated for business use as I originally pulled a 40' race trailer for my business with the truck. Now we only use it for the 5th wheel camper anyway. Getting them to cover the actual value of a custom built toter may be trickier, in my case the truck is not that expensive, and if they write me a check for what a box truck is worth in the event of a total loss I would be satisfied. In my case not worth the hassle of a stated value type policy, might be in your case.

Separate note: as a car guy myself, I am betting that at times you are transporting cars that you are going to put up for sale at a show, or cars you just bought at a show to resell, or cars for other folks (even if you are hauling for a buddy). This could certainly be construed as a business use of the vehicle in the event of an insurance company trying to deny a claim, so I would make sure you are covered for business use with your insurer. I know in my case it was not that much extra. This should not affect your dot rules unless you do have a legitimate business related to your cars (in which case you need usdot numbers anyway), you will just be sure to tell the friendly dot officer you are a hobbyist in a registered rv, and not a commercial truck. They don't check the details of your insurance.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that will insure an HDT truck used to pull a fifth wheel camping trailer? I am looking for stated value coverage because I will have much more invested than is shown in a Blue Book. Thanks!
Toterwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

we had blue sky for several years and they took a rate hike that was nearly double.
we added the coach to our allstate (auto policy) with out problem - and iirc we are about 900 a year full coverage on 100k in value
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #6

I'm in NY and we called Lazy Days down in FL and they hooked us up for about $900 a year for truck and 40' 5th wheel and when we put it in storage for the winter it went down about $400 so it was a good savings but this past year we couldn't because NY stopped storing regular plates and only do vanity plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200120-110049_Gallery.jpg  

Conman13 is offline   Reply With Quote