Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #1

Help, I am having troubles with getting my truck Licensed as a toter. I am wanting to haul my Trailer that used to a 4 car trailer. I am in the process of mounting a 24' 5th wheel on the trailer and leaving a deck to haul my Rock Jeep. I want to get truck titled as a RV. It is a 91' FLD 120 with a single axle and sleeper. Any or suggestions would be great..... Thanks in advance. DMV not much help and RCWs very hard to find all needed info.....

ktmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #2

...what state are you in?...geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:50 AM   #3

I think he's in Washington, topic title. MN requires the truck to have several items associated with rv's. Water, stand alone electrical, heater, ac, toilet, cooking, etc.... You're probably not going to be able to get those things installed in the truck. You should be able to get it a truck license plate tho. When it was used as a truck it probably had an "apportioned" plate. If you're using it as a private truck you can get just a regular truck plate based on the weight. This will be much cheaper than an apportioned plate. More than a rv one tho.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #4

One of the probs I have ran into is that the DMV put the title in a Commercial status. I even told them that I was not going to use it that way. I currently have a 4 car trailer that I am in process of mounting a 25' 5th wheel RV trailer on. This will still leave me room to haul my jeep and dirt bikes. I like this idea better than an enclosed Toy Hauler. One of the things that DMV told me was that I may have to meet the new requirements of the DOT as far getting Interstate numbers. This really sucks.
ktmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #5

ktm, any more info on getting titlrd in wa? i live in WA and was wondering about it. thanks

Outlaw
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #6

AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW THE EXISTING LAW AT THE TIME OF THE TITLE/REGISTRATION THERE IS NOTHING THAT THEY CAN DO BUT ISSUE THE PROPER PAPERWORK....MIGHT TAKE A TRIP TO THE SUPERVISORS OFFICE.....BUT THE LAW IS THE LAW AND DMV CAN'T INTERPRETATE IT AS THEY WANT....DMV LAW IS VERY DETAILED.....geofkaye
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #7

I argued with the idiots here in AZ over the same issue MVD agents ha just like future Government run health care agents can't wait!! Luckily here in Az a police officer, ie. any police officer can fill out the neccessary inspection report, the same inspection form as the "high and mighty" mvd agent can do. Check your state regs and see if this applies, Have a reasonable, police officer who understands that you won't be hauling 80k around town do your inspection, leave your rig at home, then take the paperwork to a different mvd office and smile
377pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #8

hello, i am new here. from Bothell,WA. guess i'll have to go to the license to get the answers but i'll ask here to see if anyone knows.
if i would buy volvo wg64t, no sleeper. 153'wb,tandem, i really don't want to put a sleeper on it or buy a truck w/a sleeper. i just want to carry my harly on deck and pull a 5er. ?, can i just tag it as a truck and drive around the usa without being hassaled? i have a 1 ton dually and we have to have comm.plates on it, but not titled as commerical but as a truck or pick-up. i can use my dually and put a reagade lift in the bed and tow a TT, but i want a bigger truck and would rather tow a 5er and put a lift up on the frame deck. any advice. thanks for your help. you guys are building some great rigs on here.

Outlaw
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #9

...WA - I do not know about but my frame of reference is Ohio..geofkaye and the Rivercity Group
Old 05-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #10

bump
Old 05-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #11

bump
Old 05-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #12

There are tons of guys doing this stuff on the Escapees forums, www.rvnetwork.com Search around there under the HDT forum section. I doubt if you'll be able to get rv plates for it without putting some rv type items in it. But, you certainly should be able to get regular truck plates like a 1 ton pickup, they'll just be tabbed for the weight your truck is able to carry. That's the way MN is anyhow.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #13

well good news on my conversion .Its now a registered motor home ,and all insured .YAY.It was easier then i had come to find out to be.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #14

congrats. now go camping as fast as you can.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1 View Post
well good news on my conversion .Its now a registered motor home ,and all insured .YAY.It was easier then i had come to find out to be.
Crash-

Could you detail the steps you went through, and any forms you may have had to fill out?

Thanks-

David
AquaDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1 View Post
Can you please provide more details please?

vijay is offline   Reply With Quote