Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #1

After much research I purchased my candidate for conversion But several questions have/will arrive along with the new truck.First a brief introduction of my needs/situation.
I collect and restore Historic Military Vehicles ( HMVs ) and I wish transport them to various shows, events throughout the year
My trailer is a 35' Gooseneck with 32K of axle rating.( this first year the trailer and load will be 22K , but heavier hauls will occur )
My HDT is a 2000 IHC 9400 w/73'pro sleeper (mid rise), 435hp ISX Cummins ,10 sp with OD. 3.73 rears 12/ 40 axles,22.5 rubber
My first question is concerning the axle ratio.
(I will be dropping the front rear and moving the rear rear into it's location)
While it's out should I look into installing an air locker, and should I re-gear to a high gear ratio ?
I live in southern Maine and mountains are between me and everywhere I would like to go.
Given my CGVW what ratios would you recommend?
Thanks in advance
John

j506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #2

....don't mess with it....3:73 will be fine and keeping it stock will make it stable-with more than adequate braking/traction.. you will park in fields most of the time and need all the traction you can get....instead of a swap out....get a good set of chains for all four outside tires...anything else is a waste of bucks as you may get stuck once or twice each season...most shows are on grass. I bought a 40,000# tow strap for $36.00 at tractor supply for a tug strap if needed....never used it yet....all the guys with the army trucks stay around and pull you out anyway....they think it is fun! Got stuck in a low place on a farm in Ohio and was pulled by a tank....it didn't even grunt black smoke........geofkaye....see you around the shows now an then- I finally got over the OD fever and now have HDT-ing fever...

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #3

Geeesh all this time I thought there was no cure for OD fever

Thanks
John
j506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #4

....John; OD is one of the worst syndromes one can have these days....need any parts- I have a partner in Ft.. Knox with a lot of goodes should you need something to fill you winter time or even your Christmas stocking should you have one about 30' long and 20' in dia......geofkaye-seeking relief from the syndrome with large vehicles and no storage space.....
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote