Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #1

i just spoke with a person at the NV Dept. of Motor Vehicles and questioned them about converting a truck to an RV. he mentioned there are several models that are not allowed to be converted but wasn't sure which ones. he did mention the pete 379, but wasn't 100% certain. he did give me a number of another person to speak to in order to get the real scoop. in addition, when i mentioned what i was looking at (a 3 axle tractor shortened to a 2 axle tractor and shortened frame) he went on to say NOT to cut those frames because they are "tempered". i'm not exactly sure what that means, but he stated that they are pre-stressed and when you cut the frame it completely changes the frame???? can any of you guys add to this and further explain what he's talking about? i see alot of these conversions that have been cut to lengthen them or shorten them and have not seen or heard anything like this being mentioned. he also mentioned that buy doing what i talked about, if i could get it passed an insepection it would recieve a salvage title! does any of this sound like it's "par for the course"?

Lakejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #2

I'm pretty sure if you talk to 5 different people at the dmv you're probably going to get 6-8 different stories. If Nevada is anything like MN that is. I'll tell you my understanding of MN laws. I've been a cop in St. Paul for 25 years and know just a tiny bit about licensing and trucks and such. Forget about what any of those license people tells you about modding the frame or removing drive axles. They have nothing to do with that. You need the advice of truck mechanics and engineers for that info. Now, about licensing. Let's just say you own a truck and have a title for it. If it's already licensed in NV as a commercial truck it'll probably have a "apportioned" plate. This will allow it to be used in interstate commerce. It's an expensive registration. You want to license it as a recreational vehicle? In MN there are criteria (equipment items such as potable water supply, refridgerator, cooking, a/c, etc...) that a vehicle must have to qualify as an r.v. I searched around a bunch on NV dmv sites and couldn't find anything like that. I did find this: Registration and Title Guide
MOTOR HOMES
Motor homes are vehicles described as permanently attached to a chassis and are
designed for use as temporary living quarters. Nevada Revised Statutes define three
types of motor homes.
Note: The legal maximum width of a recreational vehicle is 102 inches excluding
mirrors, lights and other devices required for safety; and an awning and any hardware
used to attach the awning, but it cannot extend beyond any mirror.
Mini motor home (NRS 482.066): A vehicular-type unit designed for temporary living
quarters for travel, camping or recreational use, which is:
1. A structure attached permanently on a self-propelled chassis; or
2. A portable unit designed to be affixed permanently to a truck chassis with cab,
which is designated as a mini motor home by the manufacturer.
Motor home (NRS 482.071): A structure:
1. Attached permanently to a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis;
2. Designed as a temporary dwelling for travel, recreational or camping use; and
3. When assembled for the road, having a maximum body width of 102 inches.
Chassis-mount camper (NRS 482.0151):
A portable unit designed to be permanently affixed to a truck chassis and cab, and so
constructed as to provide temporary living quarters for travel, camping or recreational
use.
In all cases, the chassis/frame number is used as the vehicle identification number
(VIN). The make of the vehicle is the motor home name, not the chassis/frame
manufacturer.
Example: Winnebago makes the Itasca and Fleetwood makes the Tioga. The
makes are therefore Itasca and Tioga; Winnebago and Fleetwood are not
used.
The vehicle year is established by the manufacturer on the vehicle’s original
documentation.
In all cases, the vehicle length must be included on the registration and title documents
as part of the vehicle description.
Recreational park trailer (NRS 482.1005) means a vehicle, which is primarily designed
to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping or seasonal use and
which:
1. Is built on a single chassis mounted on wheels;
Revised July 2008 - 6 - SECTION I
Registration and Title Guide
2. Has a gross trailer area not exceeding 400 square feet in the set-up mode; and
3. Is certified by the manufacturer as complying with Standard No. A119.5 of the
American National Standards Institute.
Note: The Department will only issue a title to a Recreational Park Trailer over 102
inches. Moving a Recreational Park Trailer requires a special movement permit issued
by the Department of Transportation.
Revised

Here's the link for that: http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/regtitle.pdf

Hard to believe that that is the only requirement to make it an r.v.? Maybe I just can't find it on their web site. If that's all it takes It looks pretty easy to just tell them it's your camper and you want camper plates for it.

Now, I did also find this: http://www.dmvnv.com/nvdl.htm

Scroll down a couple inches and see the part about campers over 26k lbs you need a special driver's license to operate. They make you take another test to get that endorsement it looks like. If you're already class A truck driver licensed I don't suppose you need that tho.

Posting this now, more to follow.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #3

i was finally able to get in touch with the vehicle inspection supervisor here in vegas. the way he explained it to me was in order to have it titled/registered as a motorhome it has to be fully liveable (cooking, toilet, shower, bed). he did mention that a porta-potti doesn't qualify as a bathroom facility. i asked him about the salvage title and like you just mentioned i did get a different answer than the first guy gave me. he said it wouldn't have a salvage title unless the vehicle i purchase has a salvage title. when asked about cutting the frame, he said the modification simply has to be inspected by a state licensed "garage" (a bodyshop i believe) and signed off by that garage. once it's signed off by them, i take it to the DMV where they inspect the rest of it to determine if it fits the bill as a motorhome. he said he would put together the necessary paperwork/forms that i would need and email them to me. once i get them i'll be able to see exactly what the definitions look like. i did ask about "cooking" area. i wanted to know if a microwave would qualify as a cooking area and he didn't really answer my question. so it looks like there aren't too many rings of fire to jump through to get the job done, i would just need to figure out the toilet/shower thing. on that note, he did mention that a sink does not qualify as a shower area.....damn, he beat me to it

if it's possible to make a fully selfcontained unit that fits into the bed of a pick-up, this HAS to be doable!
Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #4

I think you should look at toter homes. Truck based campers with a smaller sized living quarters and a deck on the back with a 5th wheel hitch. Is your need a compact camper with incredible towing power? That would fit your bill.

What about this one:

Here's the link for the sale item: http://busesandmore.com/trucks...national-Toter.shtml
Old 10-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #5

i've actually looked at the ad for that toterhome before. the inside definitely leaves a bit to be desired. my problem with this type of rig is the lack of power and because of the age and class (probably a class 6 or 7) of the unit the comfort level and handling would be pretty suspect. granted i've never driven this specific setup before but i've been in trucks of this type. none of them were very comfortable and none of them had airbags. i've gone through (and still go through) racingjunk.com on a regular basis. i'm still undecided on which way will be "the" way to go. i'm still trying to explory any and all options.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #6

Hello,
If this helps I did a Volvo Vnl770, registered as a Motor Home, used a Montana Based Law Firm. Was very easy, VERY EASY. Had a friend of mine in law enforcement sign off on the forms and started working on it here in Pennsylvania. I have a retired Conn DOT State Trooper as a friend, he said once it's an RV not much applies in the world of truck laws.
I do have a box truck, that has DOT numbers and he is on me like "stink on s***" to keep it legal. Soooo don't know if that helps, but hope so.
Burt Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #7

the mrs and i did some more talking last night and she's leaning toward what Bob86ZZ4 has suggested and go with a truck that's already been converted with an aftermarket box. she's concerned about the room, or lack of room i guess i should say, by going with the factory sleeper. i guess with me, my wife, my son and 2 dogs it could get a bit short on space. so i'll probably abandon the idea of converting a sleeper. if the mrs. ain't happy....i ain't happy
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #8

I would agree , I can not imagine two people spending much time in a factory sleeper, much less the rest of the family. Racing Junk has lots, but everyone knows that. eMail Geofkaye, I think he has more info than carter has little liver pills, as my Dad used to say !!!
Maybe you could pick up someone elses project, I live for that stuff loss of intrest always good to hear!!!
Burt Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #9

....read all the posts on this site and escapees.com....get ready to travel and attend some ralleys and get -togethers to see what is out there....get your money together and be prepared to spend time talking and kicking tires.....the more you know and THE small decisions made the less mistakes you are going to make....education is the key word here on this issue.....I wish there was an easier method and I could give you easy answers....but you can learn the hard way and be saying " If I had to do it all over again, I'd......"....or go into a sales situation saying " this is what I want!-now are you going to be able to make this happen or not?....".....be aggressive and have your mind made up about what you want.... these are the lessons I have learned the hard way in the RV business in the last 10 years....and believe me when I say I have made mistakes...expensive mistakes....but now I approach RV CONSTRUCTION completely differently....W
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #10

....read all the posts on this site and escapees.com....get ready to travel and attend some ralleys and get -togethers to see what is out there....get your money together and be prepared to spend time talking and kicking tires.....the more you know and THE small decisions made the less mistakes you are going to make....education is the key word here on this issue.....I wish there was an easier method and I could give you easy answers....but you can learn the hard way and be saying " If I had to do it all over again, I'd......"....or go into a sales situation saying " this is what I want!-now are you going to be able to make this happen or not?....".....be aggressive and have your mind made up about what you want.... these are the lessons I have learned the hard way in the RV business in the last 10 years....and believe me when I say I have made mistakes...expensive mistakes....but now I approach RV CONSTRUCTION completely differently....What is now top of the line was never heard of 5 years ago and what is standard now is just very mediocre.....damn have things changed!..... geofkaye
Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #11

....anyone else have the stutters tonight?.....geof