Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #1

FW: Governor Kulongoski referral: Case #70230

And this from a state that has gigantic logging trucks careening down the highways and by-ways.

David A. Scott
57ChevyPkUp
Central Coast, California

Dear Mr. Scott: Governor Kulongoski has asked me to respond to your e-mail concerning the length restriction on motor homes in Oregon.
It is unfortunate that the vehicle you recently purchased exceeds the length requirement for our state. We can appreciate your frustration at not being able to drive your vehicle in Oregon. In addition, Oregon state statute does not provide for special permits to be issued for motor homes exceeding the legal length of 45 feet. Although you may disagree with these limitations we support our legislatures' decision to limit the length of recreational vehicle on our highways.
We are certainly glad you did you your research on Oregon before your planned trip and have avoided a possible traffic citation.
Please be assured, it is not our intention to create problems for tourists in our beautiful state and we hope you find an opportunity to visit us sometime.
Rebecca L. Thoreson
ODOT Citizens' Representative
355 Capitol Street NE, Rm 135
503-986-4366 Direct Line
503-986-3432 Fax
888-275-6368
Rebecca.L.Thoreson@state.or.us

Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #2

You're being more than a little misleading with this. You're talking about that 80' conversion again that is not legal in any state. Why didn't you post what you wrote them? There are several people over on Escapees that live or drive through Oregon with their HDTs and 5ers. There even happens to be a conversation going on over there right now discussing Oregon and HDT/RVs. What was the response you got from your home state of California?

-lee

GypsyProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #3

Not in the least actually the whole issue of the tractor and trailer is long over and done with and besides I sent my inquiries to various states long before I asked about the rig to which you refer. Oregon was just the last to respond. There is absolutely nothing misleading, this is an official response from the governor's office. California's response was that a special permit can be obtained as was the response from several other states, Oregon's just had the most blatant "fuck you" in the reply. Everyone knows if states could get away with taxing motorhomes enough that they'd be as long as anyone wanted.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #4

I think the attitude is in your interpretation. They have simply said that they don't provide an infrastucture for over length vehicles. Unlike other states, they don't say that for a few $$$ you can buy a permit and cause problems for other drivers. Even states that offer permits are probably going to limit it to travel between two points on a given date. This isn't any different than a shopping center posting "No Semis" because their lot wasn't designed for the weight.

45' for a motorhome and 65' for a combined length is sufficient for all but a small minority. The longer diesel pusher MHs are running 40', as are Prevost and MCI. On the other board, you mentioned a 52' Volvo coversion. That would require putting nearly a 40' box on a Volvo tractor. (longer, if you use a daycab) Which in turn, is going to require at least a 10' frame stretch and probably more like 15'. You're talking a 35' wheelbase there with a 12' overhang.

I don't see how this is any different than the 102" width restriction. Maybe what your title should have been is "No overlength rigs welcome in Oregon". But if you think they're restrictive, you don't want to travel through New England.

-lee
Old 04-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #5

First you shot your mouth off because you didn't like some other subject I came up with and decided I was still harping about that and accused me of being misleading. I straightened you out on that and now you're yammering about my attitude. Well here is a newsflash for you, dam right I have an attitude. I detest unreasonable and unnecessary laws and regulations. Most of them have come about because of mealy mouthed, politically correct, spineless cuckolds who have surrendered their independence along with their balls and consistently twitter when anyone expresses themselves about the bloated bureaucracy we call a government. Pray tell would the facts of the post have changed if the subject had been worded in a way that you might have deemed more appropriate or should that be more politically correct?

I do thank you for acknowledging that I'm not part of the masses that blithely follow along taking whatever as long as it doesn't rock the boat.

Hail the radical fringe!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #6

Damn I go away for two weeks and miss all the good stuff!!!! Hey Kaye, What about those great orginizations as the. Pagans,Warlocks and the Hells Angels. Just to name a few!!!! Are you out of touch?? Or have you just never heard of these fine upstanding members of society????? As for the length subject. I dont know of anyone getting hassled by "THE MAN" that is in a Moterhome,Toter & Trailer or whatever that is not trying to hide it as a Commercial Vehicle. Think back on some of your travels "I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY TYPE OF REAL RV ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD GETTING CHECKED OUT BUY THE MAN REGARDLESS OF LENGTH" Please note the word REAL in the above statement. I am not talking about some old School Bus towing a POS trailer with a bunch of undesireables in it.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #7

No, I just have a problem with people whose sole purpose seems to be to stir shit and have trouble comprehending what they read. You intentionally left out the details of what you asked in your letter and slanted your post to make it appear that Oregon doesn't want ANY HDT based RVs. Then, when someone disagrees you resort to personal attacks.

Since comprehension is a problem; "I think the attitude is in your interpretation." means that you misunderstood the tone of Oregon's response.

But you're right, I couldn't care less about your plight. My rig is legal in 49 states. (I'm not going to ship it to Hawaii, so I haven't bothered to check) I don't have a problem playing by the rules when working outside the norm. I'm happy with regulations because they are not overly restrictive and tell me what I can build to and not have to worry about getting 1000 miles from home and finding unsuitable roads.

I do find it ironic that someone who claims to be from California is ranting about the limitations and governmental meddling of Oregon. Thanks for the laugh.

-lee
Old 05-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #8

Write them back and ask them:

"Why do you set the limit at 45'?"

Why, Why, Why...?

Ask "What does it take to change the current law?"

Find out the details and then change it. That is if you have the time and energy to deal with the bureaucracy that will stand in your way of making progress. Most people give up from exhaustion.

Unreasonable laws need to be changed.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote