Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

Default conversion in Indiana

Has anyone done a conversion in Indiana, or licensed a conversion in Indiana?
How and what did you do.

Thanks in advance

hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

Of any state, I can't imagine it being that hard, you would think they would be pretty rv friendly since most of them are built there, including a ton of truck conversions done on used chassis.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #3

I would of thought so to i called them and all I got was the run around and the statement is no its a semi and a semi is a semi I just hung up on them
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

gotta hate bureaucrats. there are a ton of conversions built on used chassis by companies like renegade every day in Indiana, and they are retitled as a 2015 rv when complete. Maybe make a call to one of those companies, and ask them about retitling your truck after "they" do the conversion for you.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #5

Don't ask the BMV anything, they couldn't find their butt if it had a bell on it. All you have to do is go to their website and download a change of vehicle type form. Fill it out, call your local LEO for an inspection. He won't even get past checking the VIN and then he'll sign it and hand it back to you because he has no idea what he's doing with this truck either. When you fill out the form, change the truck to an RV. Take this officer signed form to the BMV and PRESTO!!! now you have an RV.
SnaykeByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #6

I don't understand why everyone wants to retitle their conversion? I live in Wisconsin and when I went to get plates for my Kenworth T2000 which was still a traditional tractor with a sleeper on it I told them I wanted RV plates for it. (I had 4 of the 6 things inside that would classify it as a RV) but the title still states its a Kenworth truck. I just have the RV plates on it. I did this when in Illinois with my last truck as well. Should I not be doing it that way? I guess I am just curious why the need to retitle them?

Steve
superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #7

Unfortunately not every state is as easy as that. Here in Ohio you can fill out the form with the same 4 of 6 things, but that is to change the title to an rv, otherwise you have to purchase a commercial plate, or a "heavy duty non-commercial" plate both of which are more expensive and make you a target for dot officers. The rv title takes you completely and unquestionably out of the jurisdiction of the dot, unless of course you really are using the truck commercially and just trying to skate. On my old race car trailer with full living quarters, I would have had to run a commercial plate due to the weight of the trailer so I had to change the title to a "house vehicle" (Ohio's term for a camping trailer) to get a non-commercial house vehicle plate. Many states will not issue an rv plate for a (former) commercial truck at all, regardless of equipment, unless you have it inspected and re-titled as an rv. Our local title office at the courthouse actually has a picture of a legitimate factory built Renegade toterhome taped to their wall with "THIS IS NOT AN RV!" written on it.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
Unfortunately not every state is as easy as that. Here in Ohio you can fill out the form with the same 4 of 6 things, but that is to change the title to an rv, otherwise you have to purchase a commercial plate, or a "heavy duty non-commercial" plate both of which are more expensive and make you a target for dot officers. The rv title takes you completely and unquestionably out of the jurisdiction of the dot, unless of course you really are using the truck commercially and just trying to skate. On my old race car trailer with full living quarters, I would have had to run a commercial plate due to the weight of the trailer so I had to change the title to a "house vehicle" (Ohio's term for a camping trailer) to get a non-commercial house vehicle plate. Many states will not issue an rv plate for a (former) commercial truck at all, regardless of equipment, unless you have it inspected and re-titled as an rv. Our local title office at the courthouse actually has a picture of a legitimate factory built Renegade toterhome taped to their wall with "THIS IS NOT AN RV!" written on it.
+1 he's telling you right
SnaykeByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:45 AM   #9

Thanks for the info...I guess I am fortunate for where I live.
superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #10

I found the process simple and painless. Here is what I did: Title conversion

Stan Wright is offline   Reply With Quote