Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   HDT Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f98/)
-   -   HELP!!calif. registration (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f98/help-calif-registration-4912/)

kawboy 03-07-2006 09:32 PM

I've seen some of the old postings. on this topic//but have yet to see how the reclassifcation has been done. I've done a schoolbus conversion changing to motorhome was easy.///getting info. on what needs to be done for a truck is difficult at best. I have a frieghtliner xl classic(three axle,230wb) Any help from someone who has done this(or knows someone) in CA. I would be in your debt. jeff

Oakland Mike 03-09-2006 06:51 AM

I live in Ca and have done some research on this. As long as your conversion is a true motorhome, you will not have any problems. If you make it a toter and can still haul a semi trailer, then you will have to register as a commercial vehicle. All you need to do is schedule a vehicle inspection at DMV and if you have the necessities to call it a 'car house', then you will be ok. CHP does not do these types of inspections.

The problem is that a lot of truckers were trying to get a lower reg fee by registering as a MH and they were still hauling cargo, bypassing scales, etc.

Mike

kawboy 03-09-2006 11:55 AM

Mike, thanks for your reply////what is your take on the type trailer connection?////does this make a difference?
my goal is to pull a trlr

Oakland Mike 03-10-2006 06:38 AM

Can you give me a little more specifics about what you have or will have? What exactly is your plan?

Mike

kawboy 03-15-2006 01:07 PM

sorry mike, just got back from reno///i have a rental business with a short season. however the trk/trlr primary function is recreation.///the goal is to have drop deck moving van(48')with the upper deck as living quarters and the remaing for toys/equip.dmv has been little help////best i can tell a trailer coach w/5th wheel is subject to a yearly reg. and my truck to be reg commerical(over 26'000lbs) but nobody seems to be clear on a rv(trk) pulling a trailer coach.

Oakland Mike 03-17-2006 07:40 AM

Funny, that sounds like exactly what I am doing.

I have an International 9400 that I am pulling an old Kentucky double drop trailer with. The first half of the trailer is living quarters and the back half with 2nd deck is for the toys and a shop. I am just now putting on the liftgate to get things on the second deck.

If this is the same sort of thing you are doing, then you are correct that your truck will be subject to registration for a commercial vehicle, even if it is a toter with living quarters. If you can tow a semi trailer, then you will be subject. At least that is the way it was explained to me at the DMV. Over 26k will only dictate how much you have to pay. The trailer can be registered as an RV, but I think you will have a tuff time with the truck.

Mike