Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > HDT / MDT RV Haulers > HDT Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #1

any help with this engine and comments. its on a toterhome freightliner. 46k original. 6 speed manual trans.

caddtech17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally posted by caddtech17:
any help with this engine and comments. its on a toterhome freightliner. 46k original. 6 speed manual trans.
Dear caddtech,
My suggestion would be to stay away from the low horsepower truck. We built on chassis with that engine in the 90's. They went up for sale when the higher horsepower engines became more readily available earlier this decade. If you want a day cab they are fine, but installing a motorhome body on it is inadvisable as you'll wish for more horsepower the first hill you climb.

TransportDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by caddtech17:
any help with this engine and comments. its on a Toterhome freightliner. 46k original. 6 speed manual trans.
I have owner several Freightliner with the 250hp (6) Manual. Dead heading down the road I have averaged 15mpg. If your building a 26' box " Motorhome" on the conversion and not towing a big trailer just a light vehicle this truck will do 70 mph all day and night. It may slow down up step grades but so do 18 wheelers.

The conversion should average 11 plus MPH. This is not hear say. I have a garage Motorhome with that motor and tranny. I love it.

To be honest I also own a late model Prevost coach. You can not compare these units. I looked at all of the Truck conversion. Many were very nice but I found no Prevost quality manufactures.

On a budget you will be very happy with the unit in question. Many manufactures that build conversion on these chassis build over weight conversion on the light Freightliner truck. I would look in to the new light weight materials not the heavy steel cage conversion.

You need an Alum frame with a Poly Light Shell.

Good Luck!

Bill
The TruckerWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #4

I have a 94 Topkick with an S&S 12 foot conversion. 3116 Cat with an Eaton. 13 speed. I don't pull much, besides a smoker on a trailer, but never have any problems. Mine will accelerate up hills, but the previous owner had the Cat guy turn it up, since he was trying to pull a 44ft 3 car stacker.

He ended up getting an FL112/Renegade.
Hurricane95 is offline   Reply With Quote