Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #21

We used to park the back trailer then pushed the dolly up to the front of it by hand, then backed the next trailer up close enough to connect the pintle hitch to it. Then using the tractor and trailer, forced the dolly under the rear trailer. Then if you were hauling triples you repeated the process to get the dolly under the center trailer and once everything was connected you got to leave. I did know of a driver that used to hook the front two trailers together then went and hooked up his third trailer by backing the doubles with a second dolly behind them up to the rear trailer. Damn good driver...

ChiefMechanicMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #22

That's what I'm reading on the web site... I still think you have to play by the GVWR limiting rules of the tow vehicle though.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #23

I am going to buy a renegade 2800 conversion this week and I'm going to build me a bumper hitch to pull a gooseneck. Here is a picture of my friends renegade Coronado hitch. He pulls a 40 foot gooseneck with two trucks.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #24

Here is the pic
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #25

Not being able to see the other pictures...Is the shackle supposed to be for the safety chains or the breakaway brake pull? If it is safety chains I would recommend moving that attachment point to somewhere other than the removable draw bar, in case the adjusting pins fail, the trailer would be connected to a different part of the hitch or coach by safety chains. (Also I put my electric brake safety cable to a third point away from all my other connection points just as an OCD redundant condition of if all else fails hopefully the brakes lock up.)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #26

That's some good info, never thought of it that way. Here is a picture of the hitch on the renegade I am buying and I don't see where you would hook up safety chains?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #27

Looking at that plate the adjustable hitch is mounted on personally I would have two "D rings welded to it so if anything on the bolted hitch failed the chains would be connected directly but separately to the vehicle. My suspicion is the previous user was using the top pin that is not holding any weight as a tie in point. When ever I build plates on the rear of dump trucks I weld 1/2" or 5/8" "D" rings on either side of the pintle hitch towards the bottom edge and outside (Depends on trailer weight to be hauled.). I put the electrical plug up high on one side, air line connections near the electrical and the hydraulic connection on the top opposite side to keep the drips off everything during the connection or disconnection process.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #28

Heres my safety chain attachment points...

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #29

That's a nice setup. Bushpilot, what do you use for a braking system on the jeep?
Old 05-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomland4x4 View Post
That's a nice setup. Bushpilot, what do you use for a braking system on the jeep?
I have a (red) brake buddy (was brand new, used 2 times, with the bag and remote) that i picked up on craigslist for $200 bucks - but honestly i only use it to try and limit potential/personal liability (proof that i take every reasonable step possible).

I use it more for the BRAKE AWAY set up than anything else...i DOUBT if the jeep comes off the hitch that grade 80 chains will break....in fact i suspect if the hitch brakes or the jeep comes off the hitch, the jeep will FLIP and ill wind up dragging it down the road
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #31

Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch 1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	2591 this is the my set up for my jeep Renagade, I have the big loops but never hooked to them, just use the chain quick links for my safety cables,

Name:	hitch 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	2592
Ready Brake (I bought on a rv forum in the for sale section) and the cables that I hook to the jeep. It has the brake cable and then the red is the break away braking that locks the brakes on the jeep.

Name:	hitch 3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	2593 Just different look of my quick links and cables
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #32

If you notice on BushPilots pictures the safety chains are attached way from any of the hitch adjustable parts or attaching pieces for the actual drawbar. I just really like the separate attachment points for the peace of mind if everything fails I still will be dragging my tow behind me (Right side or wrong side up.) to avoid launching projectiles.

Tags
convert gooseneck, motorhome 40k hitch