Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-29-2005, 10:31 AM   #1

I have a 1999 Volvo 610 that I have converted to single axle. The truck wants to follow ruts int eh road. I have had the truck aligned and check out and the technican can not find a problem. Has anyone experienced this problem and what did you do to solve it?

geddyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:38 PM   #2

....I'd have to look at it myself as it could be about 14 different problems/issues.....take it to another truck alignment and spring shop and tell them their compeditor couldn't do the job and that they said" they were the best! and ""your shop is for pick-ups only"".....might get the reaction you want and then take the bill back to the first shop and ask for a refund!....play one against the other.......truck shops are a lot different than car alignment shops.....they are prowd of their work and have a rep to stand up to......geofkaye

Old 10-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #3

There was a previous discussion of this on the HDT SKP site, started by me. I have a short (182 inch) wheel base volvo 610 and when bob tailed I can be bounced around by ruts. My alignment etc is by the best shop in the twin cities, where all the shops send their vehicles, so I am confident it is aligned. I run 110 lbs in front and 75 in the rear(s). With the fiver and some addtional weight the problem is minimized, so much so as to not be very noticeable at all.

I also have mud and snow tires on the rear which does excaberate (sp) the problem.

Others that posted mentioned that they too experience rut wander, so not sure if there is anything wrong with your truck. I think leaving as a dual would help to minimize the problem as well.

You are not unique if that helps

Chuck
chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck:
There was a previous discussion of this on the HDT SKP site, started by me. I have a short (182 inch) wheel base volvo 610 and when bob tailed I can be bounced around by ruts. My alignment etc is by the best shop in the twin cities, where all the shops send their vehicles, so I am confident it is aligned. I run 110 lbs in front and 75 in the rear(s). With the fiver and some addtional weight the problem is minimized, so much so as to not be very noticeable at all.

I also have mud and snow tires on the rear which does excaberate (sp) the problem.

Others that posted mentioned that they too experience rut wander, so not sure if there is anything wrong with your truck. I think leaving as a dual would help to minimize the problem as well.

You are not unique if that helps

Chuck

Thank you. That makes me feel better knowing that I am not alone.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:11 PM   #5

Thank you that makes me feel better knowing that I am not the only one with this problem.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:14 PM   #6

I had this problem with my volvo wia42tes 1995
I have cured it 100% but not without alot of effort!
first thing you have to know is if your truck has a volvo front axel ?? cause volvo king pins are very strange ! and seem worn out whenever you lift the front in the air !

I had my truck aligned and it was worse so I then put 3/8" of toe out in the front and that made the lions share of improvement ! but I continued with a new steering box , a new steering colum from the wheel to the box
new wheel bearings , new aluminum wheels all 6
new mich tires !
all this stuff made it a little better yet !
Then I tried new shocks on the front, gabe adjustables , wow big difference again
and the old ones checked OK but still the new shocks worked !
truck was now stabil at 70 mp on any surface
next I went to rear shocks they were new monroe gas , I replaced them with gabe adjusts , double wow they worked
then I special ordered the nylon tolerance ring for the lower king pins and installed them
And now my truck is perfectly stabil at any speed on any surface with any load !
order of importance is
1- king pins
2-toe
3-shocks
4-tires this is ..>> assuming you have checked all the normal wear points and joints first ofcourse hope this helps T
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:00 PM   #7

I guess, new parts makes it feel like new....
My Volvo 610 does have a bit of that rut-wander.
It is not as scary though, as some guys describe.
That must simply mean my ''parts'' are not that worn out yet....
So, I will heed your advice and try some of your suggestions.
Thanks!

Rick

PSD_Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote