Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-11-2004, 12:25 PM   #1

I was wondering if anyone has a wood framed (2x4 and plywood) living quarters on a class 8 or medium duty truck?

And what would the difference be between the two materials?

Any idea of how much wood would weigh compared to metal frame and siding?

As a carpenter/woodworker, I feel like it would be fairly easy to build the living quarters using wood.

Any comments?

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:50 PM   #2

No wood!

Your really asking for trouble using a wood frame. It wont be long before you get racking that will lead to leaking where ever the metal skin or fiberglass if you went that way where constently moving.

Even traditional travel trailer mfg'ers who use to do this, dropped the practice.

The stronger you can make that external structure the less chance you'll have for movement down the road.

Bill

Old 03-15-2004, 09:10 PM   #3

Warpath I am posting here with a quick reply because for the last two weeks I am not able to scroll to the bottom of a new post or normal reply. I can never get to the post text button.

I have sent two e-mails to the moderator and never got a reply. Perhaps you can help.

The question I wanted to ask you was about the adhesive tape that Showhauler used to mount the skin to the frame of the body. I recall you had pictures showing the adhesive tape already on the wall studs before the outer skin was mounted.

What is the name of this product? The manufacturer and specific stock name would be helpful. I have a small project and I was interested in using this method to join the pieces.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:50 AM   #4

CM -

One of the other users of this site was having the same trouble and it turned out to be a security setting in ther browser. (not sure which one though)

The tape is 3M VBH # 4941, you can get from Grainger.

Bill
Old 03-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #5

Warpath. Thanks for the information. The only thing about the idea of a security setting on the browser is 1. I have made no changes in any settings yet the problem appeared a couple of weeks ago. 2. The Escapees forum appears to have the same forum software as truckconversion.net and I have no problems with their forum and the post text button appearing in the text window af a new post.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:13 PM   #6

It's pretty much got to be on your end even if it is just this forum otherwise we'd all be having the same problem. I get the same kind of hting with my BBS and it's alwaya browser issue. Also, you may not have changed it however your virus software or even your operating system may have.