Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #1

I would like to introduce myself. I have read pretty much everything on this forum in the last few months and I already owe a debt of gratitude to Warpath, Geofkaye, and many others.

I have already purchased my truck, a 2002 Mitusubishi Fuso FE-SP COE (Cab Over Engine) with a 4.9 liter direct injection turbo intercooled 4 cyl diesel rated at 175 HP. It has a 14 foot FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plywood) box on the back.

Let me back up and tell you something about where I am going with this, because my situation and goals are very different from what I gather is most common on this forum. I am 8 months into a two and a half year plan to go full time (no fixed residence). I am an engineer, and have worked hard and made good money and paid a ton of taxes all my life, but it is clear that I will never retire in anything like what most of you would call comfort. I am fed up with a system that has everyone from the top to the bottom digging around in my pocket for a handout, so I am hitting the road.

The truck will be my final home, and I really don’t need much, but it needs to be dead reliable, or at least repairable. I am not looking to impress anyone, or entertain guests or clients, or heaven forbid show girls (ask Geofkaye). My adult son might joint me, his choice, but that’s it. I need to keep a low profile and keep expenses way down, which means I want to be able to park for the night anywhere that doesn’t bother anyone, and not have anyone bother me. For all those reasons, my “Truck Conversion” when completed, will look as much as possible like an unconverted delivery truck.

Being an engineer I tend to want to know not only how things work, but why they were designed to work that way. I love it when people get specific, like R values for materials or the philosophy of holding tank design. I am also drawn to the off beat solution that meets all the design requirements but offends someone else’s sense of how things should be done. (Yes, Geofkaye, I really enjoy your posts.)

With the kind permission of the owners of this forum, I would like to contribute something of a “build thread”. I am doing the conversion entirely by myself in my driveway. I will have a ton of questions along the way but I would also like to earn my keep by contributing specific knowledge, analysis, and yes opinions from a relatively different point of view.

Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #2

I think it's cool. Any posting member here with anything like a truck conversion is "thumbs up" from me. I'm also with you Ran on doing something your own way even it it's completely off of anything anybody else has done. I also think there are some pretty smart minds around here that are very nice to share their ideas that might help you along the way of your build. Take a look at blizzardND's build and posts. He's nearing completion on a rig that is way cool and I would have never thought about. I'm looking forward to this one.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #3

welcome Ran,
I have a question for you. Are you putting Truck or RV tags on your vehicle? REASON = You mentioned wanting to look like a delivery truck, well delivery trucks have DOT regs that are a pain, including weigh stations.

Doc Weaver
Old 08-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #4

Doc Weaver wrote: Are you putting Truck or RV tags on your vehicle? REASON = You mentioned wanting to look like a delivery truck, well delivery trucks have DOT regs that are a pain, including weigh stations.

Doc, for the moment it is registered as a truck, including the square stickers that say "15" on the front of the doors. I will try and get that changed as soon as I have it sufficiently converted to make a strong case that it's now an RV.

Thank you all for your words of welcome. I will start the build thread under the heading "Stealth Camper" now.

Thanks,

R.D.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote