Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Truck Conversion Talk > Building Your Own
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-22-2003, 02:36 PM   #1

Thermal pane windows? More insulation? Better lighting? Different wheelbase? More closet space? Please enlighten me so I do this right the first time!!

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:27 AM   #2

Patrick -

The only thing I might have looked at was a bedroom slide. It is a little tight on either side of the bed, but not to bad. I love the bathroom setup, it's huge and I have plenty of elbow room in there. I really love everything about my setup. (I detailed every option I had put on it. If you have not read my build process use the links on the front page to read that)

Here are a few modifications I have or will be doing to just make things that much better. Show Hauler creates a ton of storage space under the bed, but not a real easy way to get at it.(maybe they do but I did not ask) So I am adding some gas struts to easily lift the bed to get at all of that storage. I am also adding a spring loaded industrial cord reel for my 50 amp power cord as well as a water hose reel.(I will provide pic's & details when I get finished) I also made a oak tip out garbage can under the sink & added a oak paper towel holder. To the outside, I am leaving it all white, but will run a 8" strip of polished SS down the side to compliment the polished edge at the top. When I was down in Florida I had a guy who owned a Prevost come over to talk to me. I mentioned that I was still not sure what to do with the outside, maybe add graphics or paint. He told me to leave it alone. He had just spent over $50,000 on paint and still did not like how it came out. He also said he was a little ticked off that I was steeling all of his thunder. (he was kinda joking) He noticed I had had 10 + guys a day over to see my rig and no one and stopped by his.

I love the look of the FLD120, love the power and really love the ride this setup gives me. I added the Brocks air ride system to the front and it makes a world of difference. In another week and half I kick off my RV'ing season and can't wait to get out and really use it.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

[This message was edited by warpath on April 23, 2003 at 03:33 PM.]

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:14 PM   #3

I finally have chosen a floor plan. I was having difficulty stuffing a 60x80 North/South bed, 78" sofa bed and private bath into a 28' conversion...but I have suceeded! Lonnie w/ ShowHauler is having them drawn up, I'll post a pic as soon as I get a copy. Warpath, the light switches on the wall are a must, were those standard? Also, gimme some input on this idea... How about moving the aft a/c to over the kitchen w/ ducts running to the bedroom and bath. This way if you are in 115* sun you can close off the bedroom and dump the flow into the kitchen creating a much cooler climate. I had problems in triple digit heat keeping my DP cool. Also, it would be much quieter in the bedroom w/ the a/c on. Any thoughts?

[This message was edited by Patrick on April 23, 2003 at 03:28 PM.]
Old 04-23-2003, 01:07 PM   #4

The light switches are standard and they are awesome. Show Hauler puts them everywhere. Also the standard lighting is awesome. As far as AC goes, you will have 2 of them make sure you go with the ducted vents. The first one is located just slightly forward of the kitchen and the second is in the bedroom. When we where in Florida we had one day that hit close to 90 and high humidity and the one AC was all we needed to cool things down. I know it does not seem like a Show Hauler is well insulated, but it is. With the exterior aluminum skin, then a almost 1" air space (the width of the steel frame) to the 5/16" structure board, then bubble insulation and then the interior finished wall.

It will be tough to move it foward from the bedroom, in the bathroom they use the auto vent fan which are awesome to use when showering. And it would be very close to the living area AC any further forward than that.

I am sure you have been on the Show Hauler site and looked at all of the photos. If you have not seen one in person, be prepared, if you like the photos you will be blown away when you see one live. Lonnie was sending photos to me often during my build so I could update this site with info (also I was so damn excited to get see it progress) and I loved every picture. When my wife and I came to pick it up, both of our jaws dropped, we where so blown away with how awesome it was. It made my previous RV a Coachman Class A look like a toy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Bill

Old 04-24-2003, 11:05 AM   #5

Warpath, do you recall what your wood floor upgrade cost? You just did the kitchen and bath upgrade, right? Does that incl. the living area? Are you happy w/ that? Wish you did the bedroom too? Thanks for your help!!
Old 04-24-2003, 11:41 AM   #6

Patrick -

I think it was somewhere around $1000, and I went with the real wood, there are other options. That only included bath & kitchen. My wife really wanted to have the living area done as well, but once we picked it up we where both glad we used berber carpet there. It kinda of breaks thinks up and also gives it a little warmer feel. I was a little worried about wear & tear on the carpet, but Show Hauler gives you 2 big carpet runners made from the same carpet used in the conversion so no problems there.

Bill