Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #1

G'day everyone,

I am new on this forum and would like some help from all the experience you guys have. I currently have a 91 E350 Class 3 Ambulance with the 7.3 IDI that I bought three years ago. I use it to pull my 24ft camper with no problems. However it is just not enough for me. I would like to remount the box (which I have heavily modified over the years) on a different truck. It is 12ft X 8 ft. My question is, what would be a good used truck option? I have been looking at the 4700 series International. Any opinions? I fix helicopters for a living, so I am pretty crafty.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #2

....I VOTE INTERNATIONAL!....they build a lot of emergency bodies on a International and most things should fit with out using too many adapters....make sure you insulate it from the frame with plastic or oak wood though.....you need an air ride unite unless you really like the poor ride of a International truck...last time I road in an ambulance on a back board the ride liked to leave a flat spot on the back of my head from the poor ride....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #3

my experience with Internationals was complicated. All the newer 4700s were built strong, tight, and very quiet (in the cab). On the other hand I drove spring and air ride 4700s and neither one rode acceptably. The air ride really surprised me. My friend test drove it with me and he told me,"Take this thing back, it's knocking my teeth lose". The air seat made it tolerable, but the passenger seat was not air.

I ended up with a freightliner for that reason more than any other.

I don't know how much power you need, but I used to own an Isuzu that handled great, and didn't ride that bad. It's main problem was the cabover design made it slow in the highway. Imagine driving a truck with a garage door on the grill.

This may be a stupid question, but does anyone see anything wrong with bigger Ford?

Doc Weaver
Old 09-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #4

Ok, first off, thanks for all the input! I never really thouhg about a bigger Ford, I mean I love Fords, they are all I have owned for the last 16 years. (Ok an occasional VW or two) I will say that being that it is on a Ford frame now, there should be little issue with going to another Ford. Is it possbile to do a walkthrough with a Cab over design?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Is it possbile to do a walkthrough with a Cab over design?
Ive seen it done before, but I wouldn't want to try it.

Doc Weaver
Old 09-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #6

tilt forward cabs present a special problem....the covering on the frame adds to the strength of the whole cab-like unibody cars.....I wouldn't cut into it unless there is no other way of building and/or you add sufficient strengthening to the cab after the cut out is removed....might require a jig to keep it square till the additional steel is welded in. I'd really have to do it myself to tell you if it would work or not....somethings I just can't predict till I get into it.....I'd be concerned about the strength when the cab is tilted forward-as it might rack from the stress changes....again-I'd have to cut into it to give you the correct answer.....[I hate those trial and error days] geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote