Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-19-2002, 06:18 AM   #1

I have had a number of emails asking me what my motorhome conversion is going to look like.

This is actually what they call a toterhome so I cropped the rear off, but this will be close. My truck has a bit more chrome & will have graphics extending from the front of the hood to the back of the motorhome box.

Here are additional photos of a Mack which is exactly like mine other than mine will not have the gloss black tops, and I will have a bunk above the cab vs. the storage cabinets that this one has.
28' Show Hauler

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 completely refurbished chassis. Currently in production - scheduled completion 12/10/02 www.showhauler.com

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 completely refurbished chassis. Currently in production - scheduled completion 12/10/02 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 04:44 PM   #2

Great looking rigs Warpath. Bet you cant wait till Dec 10.

onezman

onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 07:41 PM   #3

So what kinda money we talking about here out the door of course....
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 11:42 AM   #4

Geof-

There are a ton of variables which will determine the cost.

Will it be on a new truck chassis or used. If it is new there will be a few modifications to get it ready. If it is used there will probably be more. What size motorhome, what options? When your using your own truck you purchased, there will be items that are open ended which can't be determined until they dig in and really see what you have. My cab was one of those, they gave me an idea, but would not know until it was done. Which Dealer will use, will you go with a completely custom truck or one on a dealer lot.

I would say you have the best shot at wheeling and dealing on a unit sitting on a dealers lot which is ready to go. I can tell you these conversion companies do not have nearly the margins into these units as do the traditional motorhome manufacturers. They build one at a time, per customer or dealer specs. No production lines and less of a oportunity to benefit on mass produced items and quantity discounts on materials used.

As for my coach, I will have somewhere around $130,000 plus wrapped up into it when all is said and done.(This is a guess, I really need to sit down and calculate everything up) I have seen dealers moving rigs on brand new FL112 chassis for $140,000. But for me it was easier to make this conversion happen by paying for it in smaller chucks than all in one shot. Meaning buying the truck, then parts for it as I could afford it, doing as much of that work as I could, then financing the motorhome section.

For the most part most of the conversion companies like Show Hauler are priced in the same range as the bigger gas motorhomes 36 + range and the lower end diesel pusher market.

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 02:58 PM   #5

I think I'm going with the tractor form Larry and purchasing or building a trailer.....while a Showhauler is really hot!....it would be a single use vehicle for me and that can't happen....I need the vehicles I own to do more than one thing and I can use the tractor to pull other things besides a camping trailer-bass bost-air boat-race car trailer with camper front and "gopher" vehicle as my needs change.....and I collect more toys....I still want to view/read your opinions and experiences as nobody I know has pulled a conversion off.....I did look at another unite conversion at a race car builders place this Friday in Indiana and it was exceptional....I think he put out $196,000 with the trailer and all the goodies.....which is more than I want to spend but it was outstanding....keep up the posts-they make my day!....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote