Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-23-2005, 11:53 PM   #61

.....I need a Michelan man suit these days....geofkaye-I'll be almost there with the turkey Thursday....have a good holiday gary!

Old 11-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #62

You too Geof! The best to you and yours!

Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #63

Alan,

I just logged on to this web site a few days ago looking for a company to build a COE Toterhome for me!

As you, I have traveled the country looking at manufacturing plants. You seem to push ,
"Transport Designs, Their products, flexibility, and quality are the best I could fine for the price I could afford."

When I was at the plant I must admit Steve was very nice. But the Horse Trailer Look of the conversion turned me off! Am I missing the boat?
Racing4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #64

Quote:
But the Horse Trailer Look of the conversion turned me off! Am I missing the boat?
Different strokes for different folks... I admit the exterior is plain/simple. But, for our needs, the build quality and willingness to customize outweighed the aesthetics of the exterior.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #65

You are 100% correct about build quality. You can always put on some paint and make em pretty, that's the easy part. But.....If they are built like a piece of crap they will just be a piece of crap with a nice paint job. Watch the boys on Trick my Truck, they make them all pretty but I have yet to see them do anything mechanical wise to make them better. Atleast when they are broke down they will have a pretty truck to look at. Been in the bodyshop business for a long time and people don't know crap about fixing a car properly, as long as it has shinny paint it's has to be good.

I went and looked at a new Winnebago today with the 22' superslide. Astecially the exterior is really nice and some of the interior things are nice but I still felt like I was inside a mobile home. Biggest fubar I found was when the slide is out the bedroom door fails to close up the opening. It's open about 10" on top and 6" on the bottom.....not much privacy there. It was only $284,000 though.

Randy
rjbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbutler:
I went and looked at a new Winnebago today with the 22' superslide. I still felt like I was inside a mobile home. Biggest fubar I found was when the slide is out the bedroom door fails to close up the opening. It's open about 10" on top and 6" on the bottom.....not much privacy there. It was only $284,000 though.
Randy
Touche', Randy! ONLY $284,000 for something MOST well-built truck conversions will blow clean off the road for about half the price, or LESS! Ohhh yeah, get'em while they last....(ROTF,LMAO!)
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:59 PM   #67

There is no way you could buy a truck conversion with the same amenities for half the price.A conversion that would have the same toys and equipment would cost more. Don't get me wrong the Winnebago has some really nice things. Their basement setup with the septic and the coach electrical are far ahead of anything I have seen in a conversion. If they could get their finish carpentry and cabinetry to the next level their value wuld be hard to beat. Guess that's where places like Marathon Coach and other high end converters fit in.
rjbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #68

I used to own a Winnebago, and the only advice I can give you is to crawl underneath one before you buy it. Drive one down a bumpy road, and try driving them at speeds above 70mph. You will probably decide on spending the extra money for a conversion or buy a prevost style bus. My conversion will be in the 350,000 range if you compare it to a Optima or dynamax. But it will also be functional, no mirrors and lights to help fill wall space. We don't travel that often but when we do I know it won't be spent in a camper repair shop. The difference between a conversion and a motor home is motorhome mfg's need to push volume for there overhead and conversion companys need to push quality

MHensley is offline   Reply With Quote