Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #1

Default What are the best slides to use

Hello I'm new to the site and I'm starting a new build. Have a1984 peterbilt 359 long nose. We are in the finale stage of completing frame stretch and cab paint. Next I'm going to be building box for it. I'm just trying to get info on slide units. My wife loves the idea of having more room but I'm of the old school and don't really like making holes in walls more problems. I've looked at liftco and lippert slides as well as accu slide. I'm not crazy about cables for a slide so it only leaves me electric or hydro set up. Im stuck not sure what to use. Any ideas will help

Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #2

These are Liftco units. I was told that even though they are not the most attractive units they will not give you any problems. I will take reliability over appearance anytime.
Attached Thumbnails
140.jpg  

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

I agree with you I'm not much of a guy who cares about how it looks as long as they work well and are reliable. Did you build the box for slide out or can you buy all built. Thanks
Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 AM   #4

NRC in Middlebury IN built my coach. They can build to any stage you want, give them a call.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #5

Thanks I will give them a call and see what they can do. Have you had any problems with it or any concerns. thanks
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

I've got a Liftco slide on my coach. My rig was built by United Specialties, they went under in '09. I did have some bolts break. I found out the builder used the wrong type and length of bolts. I had great dealings with Liftco customer support when I called to talk about the problem. I believe I created a thread somewhere around here documenting my problem and fix. If I was building a rig (hahahaaha, I have no skills whatsoever to build one) I would certainly put a Liftco slide in. I've heard real bad things about Lippert. Nothing about their slides, all about their crappy 5th wheel frames.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #7

Hotrod-I have encountered a few situations (problems) but nothing that required me to take it somewhere to have it fixed. Like my neighbor says-"fix the small things yourself and save the major for the manufacturer." Love the idea of this type of motorhome although I haven't tried anything else.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #8

I agree good way of looking at things. It's all new to me just don't want to build something and then have to wrench it everyday just sometimes!! Well I spoke with liftco today and seems like that's were I will be buying slides from. Very reasonable and pretty easy set up just need to think about how I'm going to mount system onto box and keep it strong. Any ideas???
Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #9

Hotrod
I am building toter similar to what you describe. I am installing two opposing Liftco slides on my 12" box. Folks at Liftco were good to deal with. I have installed one side and am ready to enclose it as soon as I have time. Look under the thread "Installing the box" to get an idea how the box frame is built. Pictures of the slide mechanism is under "slideout". Might give you some ideas.
MMM
mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #10

Wow that is a beautiful build I love it. Great ideas I picked up a lot of good ideas. I'm planing on building my side walls out of 2x2 1/8 wall steel tube and over the slides use a piece of 2x4 3/16 wall tube. The floor will be 2x3 3/16 wall tube. I'm thinking I'm going to use aluminum outside skins as it would've easier for me to work with. Have you tried that 3m tape so outside skins have a smooth finish? I would like to know your thoughts on it. Thanks
Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #11

Hotrod, I did a test with silkaflex 252 on some test panels and was able to pull them apart after they cured for several days.( followed the directions to the letter) I have seen several trailers with the sides peeled open so I used shaveable rivets instead.
I have never used the 3M tape. If you use that wall thickness tubing on 16" centers your box will be quite heavy. I used 14ga 2X2 for vertical studs and 2X3 and 2X4 11ga for the floor and roof outer perimeter. Just something to consider.
MMM
mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #12

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into some lighter gauge steel and probly use that. I always think bigger is better and stronger but probly not true all the time. Has your unit held up ok with the lighter steel. Also what do you think about running a bit heaver steel on slide openings I side wall. I get nervous with the wall racking or breaking from having a big opening in it. I've used that 3m tape and also the 2 part epoxy and once it's on never coming off. We use a lot of it for body work on hoods and side fairings and so on. Works very well just the fall very expensive to put on a rv I will need a lot. Buy I did like the rivet idea the tool is pricey though. I asked the tool guy that comes to shop he wants 400 for shaving tool but probly worth it. We use huck fasteners at work very strong but not decorative. I will get some photos up soon!

Tags
slide out slide room