Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #1

Default Wasn't somebody trying to design stairs?

I thought there was a thread awhile ago about putting the stairs on the outside? I did some searches and can't find it. Oh well. I spotted these stairs on the back of a truck and thought they might work for somebody. Looks like they fold up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0089.jpg  

Old 09-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #2

Default Stairs on the outside

Hello fellow HDT'ers:

Here are the stairs I have installed . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 853.jpg   Picture 993.jpg  

Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #3

Those are nice.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #4

I bought the quad step for my truck. actually I've bought them twice ...... I forgot to fold them up before pulling through the back yard gate.....
Old 09-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Weaver View Post
I bought the quad step for my truck. actually I've bought them twice ...... I forgot to fold them up before pulling through the back yard gate.....
OUCH DOC !

I guess i like the fact that my steps retract as soon as the engine is started.

I like the 1st one....would love to have something like that so i can access my ROOF (ive got no ladder)...
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #6

I would like to have (mayge need to have) some automatic steps like that.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #7

@ doc - obviously just a relay- ie: if stairs down/out & engine running/start ALWAYS retract steps w/ DOOR closed.

our coach has some WEIRD <to me> interlocks - no tilt/tele steer wheel UNLESS motor running - and of COURSE i always forget to push steering wheel in and up before i put the FEET down....PIA / IMPOSSIBLE to turn drivers captain chair around if steering wheel is in NORMAL <driving> position !
Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #8

Default Walk Around

Nice chat regardng steps.

Regarding automatic fold-up feature, that's a good idea, but I am of the school that says keep things simple. Automatically retracting steps would just add more electrical and air stuff to fail. But, I too am concerned about "pulling away with the steps down."

So, since I have started my conversion about two years ago, before driving my truck I am trying to get into the habit of doing a thorough "walk-around" before leaving. This is a good safety practice; check tires, lights, listen for air leaks, etc., etc., and check to make sure the steps are up!

I place a round platic container upsidedown over the gearshift when I arrive at my location. When ready to leave, it doesn't get removed until I do my walk-around. If I jump into the cab and intend to leave immediately, I go for the shifter and instead grab the plastic container; I remind myself its time to walk-around and be safe!

I have never left with the stairs down, yet!
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #9

my main reason for manual steps was cost, and I too do the walk around before leaving. What got me was moving the truck to the back yard. I didn't feel the need to do a Safety check ....... that was stupid. I like the cup idea though.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #10

EXACTLY what happened to me too Doc.

i was curb'ing in front of my MiL's - steps out (locked out) -
I let the truck down off the jacks and the steps were still out...

i started the truck to warm it up while i did another/final walk around - when the truck started the steps tried to retrac and hung on the curb...i had to wait til the air bags filled and picked the rear suspension up and then cycle the steps.

so no matter HOW many fail safes you have - you might STILL get caught
Old 09-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #11

bushpilot-

I don't know how athletic you are, but I have seen some concession trailers with a series of small fold down steps running up one corner of the trailer to allow somebody to climb up and put up the signs, etc.. Just basically small footholds but they get the job done and are very small an unobtrusive.

Check out this pic: http://www.brothersbande.com/images/daypopperv2.jpg

on the right front corner of the trailer you can see the small folded up steps alternating their way up the corner of the trailer up to the roof. When you see them on the side of a trailer it looks like a rock climbing wall, but they climb way easier than it looks. They do have to mount on a corner though, so one foot can go on each side, I think if they were straight up a wall it would be about impossible to climb.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #12

Athletic...and my name...in the SAME sentence - HUMOROUS <thats about my limit, these days>

it is an interesting idea...a couple of folding CLEATS would probably do the trick...ive already bought (should be here tomorrow) a 15 foot xtend & climb ladder....its not real heavy, was cheaper than haulmark/renegade wanted for a bolt on ladder AND i can use it around the house etc.

I figure ill just keep the xtend & climb ladder in the basement/bin of the coach or in a closet inside.