Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #21

That is WAY cool. I love it. Very cool! Keep up the work and pictures. How 'bout some pics of the truck/sleeper? Is that all done or are you building that too?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #22

Hay wait a minute. You need a slide because that thing isn't big enough!?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #23

....my point is that also Bob86ZZ4....how much are you going to need anyway....a slide generates another 12-14 sq.ft ;you are going to go through an amazing amount of problems....and some are going to be a regular issue to deal with....two things that I have learned,.....use a lubricant that will NOT attract dirt and dust or the screw jacks which will bind up when it is raining for want ever reason-and the other thing is take a battery powered electric drill with you and the charger to wind the thing in when it won't close all the way. Another suggestion....get a electric impact wrench and add it your list of tools.....the shock/vibration seems to help when it gets into a bind....the seals are called bulb seals and they are not worth a crap....see if you can change them to foam backed serpentine belt like seals that fit into each other....it was the quickest fix of a slide that I have ever seen and it seems to be permeant.....geofkaye and the Rivercity group in Cincinshitty Ohio where the days are always gray and cold....
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #24

...another suggestion would be to add a portable hand rail off the trailer door....steps like that are bone breakers without a handrail...for older people and kids[grand].......geofkaye and the Rivercity Group
Old 03-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #25

got the 4th window installed tonight bathroom
377pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #26

Thanks for the feedback guys I have not come to a conclusion on the slide just yet... I know it will be way labor intensive. The stairs are just temporary for know, I plan on installing one of the fold out R.V. handrails,then reworking the stairs into a slide out from under the trailer. The cab/sleeper is all finished out but made for OTR driving,120" double Eagle sleeper, it has a queen bed on the bottom, and a single bunk up top,shower, 40 gal. h2o tank&heater, kuboya gen. in motion satalite, refrig, micro. A/C and sink, I would like to refurbish it in the future for passenger comfort but again the trailer right now is my priority. I go out to the sand dunes in Glamis Ca. check it out on you tube if you've never seen it, been duning about 20 years and have always dreamed of this type of rig setup, my sand car is 99" wide with the paddle tires on, my trailer is 100" so no more changing tires to put car into the trailer, that was the issue with the 5er toyhauler, I'd spend 2-3 hours unloading and loading both at home and at the dunes, so my goal...drive the car in ,tie it down,close door, drive home!! Thank you. I went in search of the Manus bond today, Fastenal, only authorized distributor,here in town, I had to order a case of 30 !! Manus people were not exactly customer friendly..?? But I'll have enough for this project and then some Ha, oh by the way Geof, was 74 degrees today plenty of sun here in Phoenix
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #27

one more window going in tommorow night, then on to the basement access doors.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #28

one more window to install tommorow night then it's on the basement access doors.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #29

Got a response from BAL they will sell me a slide mechanism, however it is cable operated... Lifco emailing me also mmm decisions decisions....
Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #30

That's going to be the coolest thing on sand. Hay, what about some sort of fixture that locks in the front of the rail when you drive in? Then you only would need to fix the back of it down for transport. Maybe some sort of hooks welded to the back to easily strap down. Since it's always going to be the same car in there some sort of brackets or something that the front wheels fit into? Especially since you have no way to go from front to back inside when the car is in place.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #31

....LAWS OF "FIZIX".....IN A RV EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTABLE AS EVERYTHING SHIFTS AROUND....THAT IS WHY I LIKE THE BAL STUFF.....THEY MAKE A AIR TO AIR HEAT EXCHANGER THAT KEEPS THE HUMIDITY UNDER CONTROL WITHOUT OPENING A WINDOW TO THE WORLD.....THEREFORE YOU NEVER HAVE A MOISTURE PROBLEM LIKE EVERY OTHER RV EVER MADE...."IF THE KATRINA TRAILERS HAD ONE IN EACH TRAILER THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEMS-AT ALL" AND I BELIEVE IT!...NOTHING HAS MADE A GREATER INCREASE IN INDOOR COMFORT THAN THE AIR TO AIR EXCHANGER IN MY TRAILER..........GEOFKAYE AND THE rivercity girlz
Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #32

Air to air heat exchanger, I will put that in my memory bank when the time comes, I will look into to it. Leaning real hard on the slide. My thought is I'm this far into this creation, I know that if I don't install it I will regret it later. I also know how much comfortable and roomy those precious cubic feet can be. I downloaded the install manual from BAL on their slide and it really looks lightweight. I think I will just build my own with either a screw jack or a hydrualic ram and pump, heck the hatch lift on my Cigarette boat would do the trick and the hydrualics are simple, thinking about 11.5 feet long by about 6.5 ft. tall and 30 inche slideout, thats alot of living space and will make a huge diffrence my mind is in high gear with thoughts, oh I got the eighth and final window installed tonight, although I ran out of framing steel, Oh well guess I'll have to head to the steel yard this weekend.....suppose I'll pick up enough material to do the slide while I'm down there....
Old 03-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #33

Happy to see you went with the slide, we get to see the process, G
Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 AM   #34

pete, when you said cigarette boat that put you in a class of one..i always thought that what you are doing would be the ultimate r.v.----- have at it ---- you know this---- but a project done your way is the most satisfing----mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #35

Vapoppa I bought the truck to tow the boat !! I can't afford an F-550
Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #36

377, Thats one cool rig. I am facing a similar situation. I want to be able to take the offshore boat with us and still be able to camp instead of staying in a hotel. Class 8 trucks definetly seem to be the right choice for this
carrera11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:38 AM   #37

It was the logical solution to towing the toys, safe, roomy, sleeping area for everyone, easy overnighters at the local lake with diesel generator and roof AC, A clas 8 motorhome is to long of a rig for towing so tractor only was the only choice, the toyhauler dream had always been in the back of my mind, so I figured, just keep on going with it. I'm cutting in the slide today, later that is,just got home from work. I'll get some more pics, keep you guys up to date. Damm steel got even more expensive, been a year since I last bought any, geez!!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #38

Ya,...but there isn't any inflation (just listen to the national news, they'll tell you the "straight truth"!!!) uh-huh
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #39

measure once ,twice ,no three ? no four times, cut once !!
Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #40

Okay big hole on side of trailer...mmmm neighbor came over and asked what I was going to do with a window that big ha! got ten hours in yesterday (sat) lot's of progress as you see, today RAIN !!! I picked up 5 nice urethane rollers 3" wide with bearings installed, although not sealed, thinkng they'll work real nice,for the wall threshhold, was checking out HWH websight they have tons of info, think it's like HWH industries, got a few more pics to add