Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-18-2003, 03:27 PM   #1

My 2 cents:
Just started pulling my Alpha. Made two trips to the Colorado River From Riverside,Ca. This outfit goes down the the road like a dream. It's hard to believe how smooth the ride is. Believe it or not, the 610 hardly knows the trailer is there. When the commercial trucks pile up in the right two lanes, I move into the third lane and zoom by 'em. I have to work to hold it at 65 mph. This thing is like driving a fully restored antique auto. Everyone wants to talk to me about it.
The 10 speed is like butter. It floats great. I think it's a real advantage to "bend in the middle".
So far,I have replced the volvo bed with a "jackknife" couch/bed.

99 Volvo VNL64T/610 Motorhome
2001 Alpha Gold 39'10"

Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 07:42 PM   #2

Bill - I just picked up my '98 Volvo on Saturday. I'd never driven a big truck. Bought it from onezman (Larry Zeigler) and he gave me a couple hours of lessons; but it was starting to sleet and snow so I headed home before "graduating" from gear-shifting school. Had no problem keeping it between the grader ditches; but man I couldn't hit a gear to save my sould. Humbling to say the least. I'll be spending a lot of time in parking lots until I get some experience going up and down the gears. My neighbors about (you-know-what) when I pulled that big red truck into the driveway. I've nick-named it already (trucks have names here in Missouri). I'm calling it Bart. Bart stand for Big As* Red Truck. Later - Joe

Joe

JoeHDVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:44 PM   #3

Hi Bill and Joe,

I like what the name you gave your Volvo stands for Joe, but you should name it after a woman. That way you can talk sweet to it.

The Volvo I am finsihing now has been sold to a guy in Phoenix. He hasn't picked it up yet but he already named it: Suzie Q.

Just my two cents....
onezman
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:19 PM   #4

Here's a couple of ideas for you guys with Volvos. I just did a Volvo conversion for a couple from South Carolina. I installed a 2000 watt inverter, and shore power. I hadn't done either on previous conversions.

To provide shore power I simply bought a block heater kit, drilled about a 1 & 1/2 inch hole in the small side faring right below the back of the drivers side under bed storage compartement.

The black heater sleeve fit like a glove. I attached it with 4 screws, cut the end off the cord and ran it up through an existing grommet in the floor of the sleeper. I ran it under the thick rubber and foam mats to the wall, into the storage compartment under the bed. I then installed a female three prong plug. Then I attached an outlet strip. This makes for a simple neat installation.

onezman
Old 02-19-2003, 06:52 PM   #5

Hey, Onezman - did you take any pictures of the installation? Joe

Joe
Old 02-20-2003, 11:16 AM   #6

Location: https://community.webshots.com/photo/93826746/94091929JnrVfF

Hello Joe -- --

Until Larry responds -- Here's a link on how I installed my inverter in the tractor:

http://community.webshots.com/album/45486818DjWcBN

As a side note -- I also plugin the 5th wheel to the exterior plug on the back of the sleeper I installed -- I do this while hooked up and the lamp cord plugged into the tractor. This gives me 6 batteries to draw from. The inverter has a low battery cutoff - and shuts down automatically. I did a test of this feature just using the tractor batteries -- and waited about 5 minutes -- and tried starting the tractor. Temp was 50 degrees -- and the tractor started -- albeit .. the starter was slow.

I am installing a larger inverter in the 5th wheel -- but for now .. this works just fine.

Hello Bill -----

I used to live in Riverside -- At the corner of Lincoln and Mary. Sold the house in '81. I also went to "The River" for years -- Parker !! Over time I had 3 - ski boats ........ Seems like another life !! I miss my 427 Ford powered Flat Bottom !!

So Long Fellows .......... (Hi Larry)

OLDphoneman ......

Great New Forum !!
OLDphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 06:03 PM   #7

Hello again,

Sorry Joe, I forgot to take any pictures. I learned how to do the installation from Oldphoneman's pictures and discriptions.
(Thanks buddy!)

I used a Cobra 2000 watt Inverter which is smaller in size than Daves inverter. I installed it upside down in the same place and same way Dave did it. I ran the cables,
(4) under the front of the bunk. I removed the cabinet and ran the cables under the thick mats on the floor, down through an existing
grommett to the front battery.

The Couple I sold that Volvo to will send me pictures if I ask for them. They are on their way to Florida to pick up their new Teton. They paid for their Volvo in full in advance. I Fed Xed them the notarized Title and Bill Of Sale. They registered the Volvo as a motorhome without actually having the Volvo in their possession.

Then should be back in South Carolina
around Mid March. I'll ask for pictures when they get home. I'll send them to you then.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:39 PM   #8

Mercy oldphoneman, a true (pure) sine wave inverter! I don't know all that much about inverters (except what I read in the Poop Sheets by phred). I was thining that a quasi sine wave would work just fine for the refrigerator and microwave. What about you onezman, was the one you installed a true or quasi sine wave inverter? Thanks, Joe

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 N14Cummins
Old 02-20-2003, 07:20 PM   #9

I know less than nothing about inverters Joe. I did buy two of them at the same time though. I am holding on to the second one for now.

They are Cobra HGP12000's. They are 2000 watt with peak surge of 4000 watts. They have "Modified sine wave". Whatever that means. They come with four, 6 foot 4 guage power cables, internal fuses, auto shutdown, LED voltpower meter, auto reset, 3 AC recepticals, other bells and whistles, and pentagon protection (?)

They are 15.6 x 8.2 x 3". They weight 13.1 pounds Cost about $349 each most places. They fit perfectly under the bed. They are out of the way too.

Larry
Old 02-20-2003, 08:23 PM   #10

Hi Joe -- --

You are absolutely correct -- any inverter of the proper size would suffice.

But -- you've asked for my reasons. Well -- here they are .....

This is the last rig I'll have before I die. I'm only installing the best of equipment.

25 years ago -- I wanted an inverter for my trailer. In researching and talking with others in various campgrounds -- they all produced an A/C hum in electronic equipment. And they were very expensive !! So -- I bought a Honeywell motor generator (I'm really dating myself now) and I still have it today -- It produces a true sine wave (no A/C hum) ...... anyone stopping by can have it !! Works great !!

Also the ProSine has a remote pannel -- this way I can start/stop as needed from the sleeper(where I installed it) and have no "standby" slight current draw. The arrangement works out quite nicely.

I believe this inverter also has about a 96% efficency ratio -- in converting 12DC to 117VAC. In comparison -- the Honeywell is about 65% efficent -- Just a little tidbit of information !!

I paid -- If I remember right 679 for it. Plus the remote pannel and 110Amp fuse -- I had the cableing and ends.

As a side note -- I've taken more "hits" on the carpet kit than the S/S fenders !! Carpet was easy to install -- Those fenders were a "pain" -- but sure work great !! :^)

Glad to see the pictures are of some help and give ideas !!

Tootles ........

OLDphoneman
Old 02-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #11

Thanks for the response OLDphoneman and onezman. I understand what your doing OLDphoneman. But, for me, I'll going with the quasi sine wave inverter. phred's Poop Sheets (Escapees) comment that the pure sine wave inverters are really only necessary for some of the more touchy laser printers. All I need is something to help me get my Volvo retitled as a motor home. In Missouri, three of the four things I need are: (1) a cooking facility with onboard power source (small microwave); (2) a refrigerator; and a 110-120 volt power supply. I can get a 12 volt microwave for several hundred dollars; but it would make more sense to get a $50 microwave and a $80 refrigerator and sink the bigger bucks into an inverter to run both, and which meets the 3rd requirement for the onboard 110 volt power source. phred recommends four inverter brands: Trace, Heart Interface, PowerStar and STATPOWER. I don't have my wattage requirements figured out yet, but the recommended brands are all pretty "pricey". So I may end up with a Cobra, like onezman, or get lucky and find a used trade-up inverter at someplace like RV Solar Electric or Backwoods Solar. Buying a good inverter is about as confusing as buying a good truck. Glad I got my Volvo! Joe

Old 02-22-2003, 04:56 PM   #12

Hi Joe -- --

The most demanding for your application -- is the microwave. You will probably select a micro with the wattage in the range of 600-700 watts.

I'd recommend at the minimum -- an inverter rated at 1000 watts. Mine works just fine -- powering the micro and fridge at the same time along with the laptop. When the micro is at "full" I'm drawing 80 amps of DC current -- thats with everything on. So you see -- I've still got a safety margin.

I just looked at Flying J on the web -- they have a Statpower Portawatz 1700 watt unit for $ 149.00 -- although they are out of them at the moment on the Web. If you live close to one of these Truck Stops -- check it out.

Here's another Web Link listing inverters and pricing --

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/inv...urce=overture1

I don't know anything about the above link -- just did a search -- and I can't remember where I bought mine on the Web -- Senior Moment !! !!

Hope this Helps .....

Tootles .....

OLDphoneman
Old 02-22-2003, 05:18 PM   #13

Hello joe -- --

I went into the house and looked on that computer -- and found the place on the Web where I bought mine -- Here's the link:

http://www.brokenlegdave.com/Manufac...ge_battery.htm

There Statpower Prowatt 1000w is $209.

This will meet your requirements -- although I'd recommend for just a few dollars more -- their 1750 watt version at $ 281.

Tootles .......

OLDphoneman

Sorry how this post turned out -- must have been the link ....
Old 02-23-2003, 02:51 PM   #14

Thanks, OLDphoneman. I've got two questions - I think that inverters are meant to be used with deep cell batteries (golf cart, marine batteries, etc.) Does it hurt to use the batteries in your truck -- which were designed for one thing - cold cranking amps? Second, my three batteries are hooked up in parallel. Did you splice in your inverter at the first battery, or at the end of the chain where all the amps are? Thanks - Joe

Old 02-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #15

Hello Joe -- -- --

Using an inverter for the micro is like starting the tractor motor (well almost) As there is a current drain for a short period of time. This won't harm the batteries -- Which is your real concern.

Another example is -- you run the fridge over night -- and the converter draws appx 3-4 amps continous all night. Does this harm starting batteries ?? My answer is no -- although deep cycle batteries can standup to this demand better than starting batteries.

My view is -- does the end justify the means. And for me -- I'll replace the starting batteries every 5 years -- and install 4.

Hooking up an inverter -- By the way -- Full current is available at any of the 3 - batteries. But -- You'll want to only hookup to the Front battery. If you hookup to the rear battery -- you will be removing the nuts holding down the battery cables -- and you will loose power to the tractor. This causes no harm -- Except you'll have to reset all the clocks ........ :^) Thats why -- When you view my photo's I used the Front battery -- the end battery in the string -- and only one cable on the post -- plenty of room for another !!

Hope this has helped ........

Tootles ....

OLDphoneman
Old 02-25-2003, 06:17 PM   #16

Thanks, OLDphoneman. I'm a month or so away from needing an inverter. My truck goes into the shop for the bed build sometime next week. Right now, it won't start -- it's 4 degrees here. I've got the engine heater plugged in, but the batteries just won't cut it in this cold. I may have to replace them. Most of the plastic decals are gone. All I can tell is that they are Delco gel batteries with 700 CCAs; but they might be a couple of years old. they're hooked in parallel, so I think I have 2100 CCAs, which isn't enough on this N14 Cummins when it gets below freezing. Later - Joe

Old 02-25-2003, 06:56 PM   #17

Hi Joe -- -- --

4* -- -- No NO .. .. Doesn't compute !! !! :^D

55* and SUNNY here Today !! !! !! :^)

You've Gells ?? I'd think they would be wet cells/sealed. I've Interstate's Work Horse -- 31ECL W-700 CCA's.

FAROUT -- on the bed ....... Take PICTURES .. and post-um on Webshots !! !! Like Me !!

You Boy's with the N-14's ...... I'm going to have give Mark Chappell at TST a Ring -- and have him breathe some LIFE in my punny M-11 :^D

Your the 2nd one having a bed built next week !!

I still like my S/S fenders !! !!

Tootles ......

OLDphoneman

Hint: Graphics .................
Old 03-05-2003, 03:31 PM   #18

Check out my tow vehicle and 5"er.....
www.community.webshots.com/user/onevolvoman

99 Volvo VNL64T/610 Motorhome
2001 Alpha Gold 39'10"
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:33 PM   #19

Bill:

Your link didn't open on my computer.

Me or you?

Chuck
chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 07:39 PM   #20

It's him. I tried it too, and it wouldn't fly.
Just tried again. Again, no go.

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote