Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #1

Default 2014 Prostar

Good morning everyone. I have purchased a 2014 International Prostar to pull my Cyclone toy hauler. I am using a RV 5th wheel plate bolted to the frame for my hitch. I would like to build a bed for carrying my golf cart and other things, but I am having trouble coming up with plans for the structure. I would like to build something similar to a Herrin bed. I was a professional welder for 15 years and understand how things are supposed to work but I am not too hot on design. I am also having trouble figuring out how the bed will clear the wheels when the air goes out of the air bags when the truck sits for a long period of time. I have attached a few images that I have found and what I am looking to accomplish. Any advice, pictures of bare frames would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3154.jpg   herrin.jpg  

welderman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #2

Welcome! Looking forward to your progress posts.

Pntyrmvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #3

You are already on the right path..... study what others have done. A golf cart is pretty light so your bed will not have to be to heavily built. Make sure that any frame members will not touch with the air bags completely deflated. I would avoid putting a frame member between the wheels like the picture shows. Instead use a piece of steel plate in this area like is common on gooseneck trailers. Be sure to include tie down points for your cart and a place to secure the loading ramps.