Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #21

Again, this is about Calif DMV. Once you do find out all the particulars, going through a private service(like AAA), can really help you. I traveled out of state to buy a certain vehicle that is NOT sold new in Ca. Since it is legal in the US, if it is used, Ca has to register it(after an inspection of the VIN#). The Ca DMV always send you to the Highway Patrol and they will complain about anything they can(non-standard lighting, extra lighting, Horn, etc), they can drive you crazy. If you know the law, and take it to AAA when they are not busy, they will sign off on it and get your registration.

Good luck!

rt66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #22

Default Michigan Conversion

This may be hard to believe, but the registration and licensing of my 2003 Peterbilt 379 conversion was almost a "pleasant" experience in dealing with the Michigan SOS.

When I first bought the tractor from a local truck dealer, I went to the SOS office and asked what I needed to provide in terms of documentation for my vehicle to be registered as a motorhome? I was told I needed a certified weigh slip, plus proof of insurance.

As it took me about three months to get all the preliminary work done prior to weighing; drop the front axle, add the 16' dry box, add the split 120 gallon fresh/gray water tank, and a few other things.

I got this all done, went to a Cat scale and weighed the beast: 21,400 pounds. Also got some RV insurance from Progressive. I took all this in the SOS's office, and just happened to get the same lady behind the counter who helped me three months earlier. She said, "Oh, I remember you!"

It was a smooth slide from then on, and in about two weeks my new title arrived in the mailbox with these words across the top:

P E T E R B I L T M O T O R H O M E

I was a happy camper, literally!

Speed Gray, K8SG
Grand Rapids, MI
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0476.jpg  

Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff And Kim View Post
Frodaddy,
Hi, I am also a PA resident, planning to register/ title my Freightliner as a motorhome in our state. Can you tell me what was required to put in the rig for equipment? my wife and I have been searching PA laws and the internet and are only finding very vague information on this. We want to convert the rig and want to make sure we dot the i's and cross all t's before going to DMV. They aren't very pleasant if you don't cover all of your bases. Any info would be a great help. Thank You, Jeff
sent you a p/m
thanks Fro
frodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #24

New day, new problem. After all the time spent building and then the red tape of titling and licensing as an Assembled RV now I have found insuring it is almost impossible. They sure don't make it easy on a fellow that wants to be different. Murphy says anything that can, will go wrong. Especially when building your own RV
Birdswine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #25

I just kept my commerical insurance. It is only 100.00 per month. Course our insurance company (State Farm) is easy to work with. Or we are just lucky. We are more concerned with the vech, not the work we did or whats inside.
papa skwirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #26

I had liability insurance on the Pete thru Farm Bureau and it was 1700 a year and when I change the truck to an RV I had to jump thru hoops just to get them to insure it because they said they had nothing to base it's worth on in case of a total loss.....it wouldn't enter into their computer. After submitting receipts to prove what I had in it they still weren't satisfied so they came out and took a bunch of pictures to send to the home office. Then they came back and said the truck is worth so much and the camper is worth so much on the market, they combined the two and came up with a figure pretty close so I agreed to it. The premium is 960 a year so that's not bad. I did check with some other insurance companies, most said they can't write a policy on an assembled vehicle. State Farm gave me a real good price of 580 per year, but that was only if I had my home insured with them and that premium would have been higher on my home owners. It wouldn't be as much fun if was easy huh.
Birdswine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdswine View Post
I had liability insurance on the Pete thru Farm Bureau and it was 1700 a year and when I change the truck to an RV I had to jump thru hoops just to get them to insure it because they said they had nothing to base it's worth on in case of a total loss.....it wouldn't enter into their computer. After submitting receipts to prove what I had in it they still weren't satisfied so they came out and took a bunch of pictures to send to the home office. Then they came back and said the truck is worth so much and the camper is worth so much on the market, they combined the two and came up with a figure pretty close so I agreed to it. The premium is 960 a year so that's not bad. I did check with some other insurance companies, most said they can't write a policy on an assembled vehicle. State Farm gave me a real good price of 580 per year, but that was only if I had my home insured with them and that premium would have been higher on my home owners. It wouldn't be as much fun if was easy huh.
Might be worth trying a different agent. I just registered and insured mine in MA and It was pretty simple. I got a camper policy from Arbella, with a declared value. I then went to the registry and asked them if they could register my Kenworth Camper. It had a prior OH title which might have been part of the reason the just let it fly through. I did make a failed attempt a few months prior, where I actually told them I built the camper my self. What ever it takes to get through the red tape...
MURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #28

In Illinois, an "RV" must have several things present to qualify for registering as an RV. The first, most important, is that the "living area" must be accesible from the drivers compartment. This raises problems witih a regular box/cube/straight truck. In the living area the requiremenets are as follows :
A self-contained motor vehicle, not used commercially, designed or permanently converted to provide living quarters for recreational,
camping or travel use, with direct walk-through access to the living quarters from the driver’s seat. Such vehicles must include at
least four of the following:
a) A cooking facility with an on-board fuel source;
b) A gas or electric refrigerator;
c) A toilet with exterior evacuation;
d) A heating or air conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine;
e) A potable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet, and a water tank with an exterior service supply connection;
f) A 110-125 volt electric power supply.

Finally, if you planned to convert a BUS, it can not be yellow ( I.E. School Bus).
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #29

So what do people in Illinois do if the have a pick-up camper?
daddywoofdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #30

They can either register the TRUCK, according to its G.V.W.R. OR get RV plates. The above information applies to modifying a NON RV vehicle TO RV. The actual Illinois Vehicle code allows truck campers to be licensed as RV's because the truck camper was originally designed as an RV.

A recreational vehicle is defined as "Every camping trailer, motor home, mini-motor home, travel trailer, truck camper or van camper used primarily for recreational purposes and not used commercially nor owned by a commercial business" (625 ILCS 5/1-169).
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #31

But there is no pass thur for the camper to the drivers seat "most of the time.
daddywoofdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #32

Correct. Like I said, the "pass through" requirement applies to a vehicle that was not originally designed as an RV, is modified, and then is to be registered as an RV. I'd imagine it's the States way of keeping people from slapping a couple things into a big box truck, then registering it as an RV. They would lose money on the truck plates as well as have people driving larger trucks that they otherwise wouldn't be licensed to drive.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #33

Default Wisconsin RV Hauler licensing

EXCEPTIONS TO CDL REQUIREMENTS:
From WI_343.055

http://www.hhrvresource.com/Images/P...%20343_055.pdf

Recreational vehicle operators. The operator of the commercial motor vehicle is a person operating a motor home, or a vehicle towing a 5th-wheel recreational vehicle or single-unit recreational vehicle and the vehicle or combination, including both units of a combination towing vehicle and the 5th-wheel recreational vehicle or recreational vehicle, is both operated and controlled by the person and is transporting only members of the person's family, guests or their personal property. This paragraph does not apply to any transportation for hire or the transportation of any property connected to a commercial activity. In this paragraph, "controlled" means leased or owned.

Looks to me like any truck in any condition with no improvements, even dual axle units, can be registered as an RV and driven with just a Wisconsin class D license.
Maverickx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #34

That paragraph is very specific. It says any unit *towing* a 5th wheel RV. So, you could change the 5th wheel plate on a semi and pull your RV with it. Here's the catch. You take the RV off and you better have at least a class B CDL.. not to mention what happens should you cross state lines..
AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #35

You have a valid point. So it's in my best interest to have the minimum upgrades to the tow vehicle so that it will stand (by federal DOT rules) as an RV on it's own merits. Sort of my plan anyway as the more research I do the more that makes sense both from a DOT standpoint as well as creature comforts while on the road. Always nice to have a refrigerator, a bunk bed or seating that converts. A fresh water supply, and a way to maintain fresh coffee. Think I'll not do the porta-poddy tho Gota to stop some place and the 5th wheel is right close behind.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #36

Here are the DOT requirements as I understand them:

Motor Home means a multi-purpose vehicle with motive power that is designed to provide
temporary residential accommodations, as evidenced by the presence of at least four of the
following facilities:

a. Cooking - a small microwave is acceptable
b. Refrigeration or Ice Box - either a 12 volt, 110 volt or LP powered refrigerator is acceptable
c. Self-contained Toilet - a porta potti is acceptable
d. Heating and or Air Conditioning - factory heat or air is acceptable with separate sleeper berth
control
e. Potable Water Supply System including a Faucet and Sink
f. Separate 110-125 Volt Electrical Power Supply and or an LP Gas Supply - generator, inverter or
a shore power inlet is acceptable

Should be pretty easy to meet this and be legal
Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #37

Got my Classic Titled in Kansas was nothing its still a semi but everything on paper is RV
took the CO title as a semi down and had vin checked
went to tag office and told them I want it titled and tagged as a RV 15 min. and $166 I was done and heading home
stapel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #38

My first post and I want to thank the many people that have posted, I have been on the site for a while and pulled the trigger on a truck over the week end. with your help here this is what I was told from NCDMV.

this was about the truck before I convert it to a RV, I had sited one of the members saying something like if I cant use the truck for the CDL test why would one be needed to drive it.

(this is the full reply)

Sent By: Contact Us AdministratorDate/Time: 6/5/2013 10:27:50 AM Comment:
Mr. Rehak,

If your vehicle by itself does not have a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, you do not need a CDL license, but if you have a trailer attached, combine those together and if the weight then is 26,001 pounds are greater, that is a CDL A. Having airbrakes on any vehicle has nothing to do with a CDL. Airbrakes does not require a CDL.

p.s. this is what were making, soon to have ground level walk in door and slide....
Driveshaft Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #39

There is another aspect of the licensing stuff you need to concern with. If you are operating "in furtherance of a commercial venture" you've got to have a DOT registration. If you go over state lines you need IFTA stickers. I think you also need to register the veh. with truck or apportioned plates. Pretty sure you can't put a DOT number on an RV plated veh. So, if you keep those graphics for your business you're working under a different set of rules.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #40

understood, what about the fact that's its registered under 26000lbs then

Driveshaft Shop is offline   Reply With Quote