Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #1

Default installing grey+black water tanks

I'm not sure how to think about grey and black water tanks for my box truck conversion. Does anyone know any good sites for how to install them?

I haven't chosen my toilet yet... if it's a composting toilet then I may not need a black water tank at all, which is preferable.

boxtruckdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #2

I took a very quick look at your site. Looks like a good project. The waste tanks you're going to likely want on the left side since that's how most dump stations are set up for. It looks like you might be rather low to the ground? Maybe you could put the gray tank inside at floor level? That would then make only your black tank lower, help in ground clearance? A burner toilet would for sure be nice, but likely more expensive. Might be worth it for all the other ways it would help you with space and such.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #3

that is a really cool site you have there, great way to keep track of what you have done over time! On the issue of condensation, I had the same problem, a roof top hatch with a vent max cover fixed it. Good luck with the build!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #4

I would love to have this toilet and eliminate the need for a black tank altogether. But it's so hard to make decisions about these things!

Thanks for the helpful advice!
boxtruckdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #5

With my conversion project I wanted to keep the classic looks of a class 8 rig, so my solution to the gray tank question might be somewhat unique. Our layout for the camper portion of the vehicle does not include a toilet; I don't want the odor and the upkeep. Plus, where we going camping most of the time there are very nice restroom/shower facilities. When on the road, we stop at McDonald's, etc.

However, I did need a solution to the freshwater, graywater supply and storage problem. I ended up finding a used tank which matched the fuel tanks on my rig, and had it made into a "split." This combination tank is mounted behind the driver-side fuel tank. I have about 50 gallons of fresh water supply, and 50 gallons of gray water storage from the kitchen sink on board. So far, it has worked effectively.

Speed Gray, K8SG
Grand Rapids, MI
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0031.jpg  
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway OPie View Post
With my conversion project I wanted to keep the classic looks of a class 8 rig, so my solution to the gray tank question might be somewhat unique. Our layout for the camper portion of the vehicle does not include a toilet; I don't want the odor and the upkeep. Plus, where we going camping most of the time there are very nice restroom/shower facilities. When on the road, we stop at McDonald's, etc.

However, I did need a solution to the freshwater, graywater supply and storage problem. I ended up finding a used tank which matched the fuel tanks on my rig, and had it made into a "split." This combination tank is mounted behind the driver-side fuel tank. I have about 50 gallons of fresh water supply, and 50 gallons of gray water storage from the kitchen sink on board. So far, it has worked effectively.

Speed Gray, K8SG
Grand Rapids, MI
Never occured to me to use a fuel tank as a grey water tank. Interesting idea. I imagine you have a filtration system for the drinking water in the rig to screen out anything that might have been left over in the tank. I wonder how long one of these tanks would last as a water tank...

AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
box truck, grey water, plumbing, water tanks