Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-30-2003, 09:35 AM   #1

There are 3 things that have always anoid me about RV'ing.

The storage & setup of the water hose, sewer hose and electric cord. I like everything to be nice and neat, and easy to use. So the first item I looked into was a reel to hold my water hose. There are electric retractible reels, but they want big money for those. Last year my company became a distributor for Duro and they developed a spring retractible water hose & electric power cord reel. BINGO! So I got one in and was about to put it in my Coachman Class A and then I sold that and started to work on my Show Hauler. So finally done, I recently has a chance to install my reels.

Here is the water reel. I currently have it plumbed with removalible fittings, but after a few uses to be sure it works properly, I will soon hard plumb it in. This reel is spring loaded so no motor needed, industrial quality and will last forever. Cost is $170.00 and that includes 25' of hose.

With that in I next worked on my power cord. Again used a Duro spring loaded reel and had to do some cutting of the current bin Show Hauler uses to store the cord. This needed to be mounted upside down to have the cord come out of the existing hole and door provided. With 20' of cord and reel weighing about 60 lbs it was a bit tough heving that bad boy up to some mounts I made. I enclosed this up with sheet metal to keep road crude from getting on the reel & cord. Since this took longer than expected and I didn't finish until about midnight, I didn't take any pictures. I am thinking about putting a 35' cord on the reel and if I do I will snap some shots then.

With that finished I turned to the sewer where I found the ultimate sanition system and I love it. The dumping of the black & gray water tanks can be messy and a pain, so I have been keeping a eye out for a better solution. A week ago I came across the RV Sani-Con system and saw a review on it by FootLoose (who has a bus conversion) and decided to roll the dice and give it a shot. This actually was a big gamble because this system is not cheap. It sells for $399, but if it worked as advertised it would be worth it. I ordered it last Friday and it came in today.

I had to yank my sewer hose container and before I got started I also removed a vent in the floor which would throw up tons of road crude into the compartment. Show Hauler put it in there to exhaust the coach batteries, but there is a good size gap at the top of the bin so it really is not necessary. I located a spot for the pump and switch, wired the pump to my coach batteries with the supplied wire and fuse, connected the hose to the sewer connection, connected the gray water bypass, loaded the extra hose and I was done. Now I took a little extra time locating just the right spot for the pump and adding conduit to my wires, but this is a easy to do project.

The beauty of this system is it stays connected and it has a shut off valve at the end of the hose. Since this system uses 1 1/2" hose, I think I can use a Duro reel for this as well. I working with them now for just the right setup.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote