Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #1

1963 Grumman...do I fit in with you guys?

Ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #2

The man shows up with what looks to me to be a fairly neat conversion on a nice old step van, and wonders whether or not he fits in. Well, in my humble opinion, OH YEAH!!!!

Nice rig, Ob1quixote! And definitely,
Welcome Aboard!

Tell us more, if you would, like when the work was done, and how much you did yourself. Also, which components were used to complete it.

Not that we're curious or anything. Just plain nosey! ;-)

Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #3

.....considering the economy and maybe the future economy.....you might have stumbled onto a "owner/fuel friendly conversion" that is reasonalby affordable.....after all, cars are getting smaller and I guess the RV's are next to shrink down.....good rig for what YOU use it for?...only you can tell us by the way....geofkaye[we were discussing that issue just today during lunch.....maybe we will be going back to van conversions with slides?....who knows what will come next?......
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #4

....our new company saying is "WHAT WORKS FOR YOU"....Rivercity Group is getting into more custom stuff every day.....we have started spraying foam in RV's this week on a assembly line basis....it is even in my rear cleavage[how did it get there?] mysteries from the front lines......geofkaye
Old 04-25-2009, 05:01 AM   #5

When the work was done is a complete mystery. It has all the looks of a professional conversion from back in the day. The cabinet work and "aft stateroom" appear to be original to the unit, and are still in very good condition in finish and construction. All the 120VAC wiring looks professional, right down the the slimline electrical boxes in the walls.

The toilet/shower seems to be a later addition with later materials, but done well. While I cant be sure, I think they took up a bit of the living/dining area for it, or perhaps there was more storage in that area.

Underneath the more modern flooring the is painted plywood on top of the aluminum deck. Behind the knotty pine plank beadboard walls is a god-awful forest green paneling made of pressed board, like pegboard material.

History, I only have what the PO gave me. As best he knows, the machine started out in AZ, where the upper rear window and bunk was removed in th aft stateroom {lol!} and a window AC installed. The Grumman then made its way to WI, where the AC was removed and a steel panel installed. Here the rear bumper was extended 2ft and a motorcycle chock welded up. This owner was known to haul a Honda Goldwing {naked model} and outboard boat to vacation spots.

Then it went to Arkansas for a few years with a new owner, who used it for shelter at first, then storage. He then moved here to Charleston SC, where he advertised it on Craigslist.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #6

The Ob1 era...

I have finished the knotty pine paneling project, straightened out some problems with the 12VDC amenities circuits, added a dual voltage light fixture over the dinette/bed. I have gotten a 4KW generator and a 4KW inverter for flexible power supply. Installed a 5K btu air conditioner. Gonna stick with the LP gas central heater and LP 3 burner stove w/oven. Had the LP water heater repaired {water froze and split the tank}. Gonna replace the LP/120VAC refrigerator with a larger 12oVAC unit.

Being a car painter, a paint job is in order...

Repairs; the exhaust manifold was warped on the Chevy 292 I-6, picked one up at the junkyard for $75. The extended rear deck was never finished, so the 3/4 plywood deck will be replaced with diamond-plate. The cycle chock will be removed and a removable cycle rail installed in the receiver I just installed. This will leave the deck for the generator, cooler, LP tank and such.

I will have to add a graywater tank, they tell me direct discharge is frowned on... maybe add another 12v battery and isolator.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by geofkaye:
.....considering the economy and maybe the future economy.....you might have stumbled onto a "owner/fuel friendly conversion" that is reasonalby affordable.....after all, cars are getting smaller and I guess the RV's are next to shrink down.....good rig for what YOU use it for?...only you can tell us by the way....geofkaye[we were discussing that issue just today during lunch.....maybe we will be going back to van conversions with slides?....who knows what will come next?......
Hey Geofkaye,
I can hear the wheels turning all the way over hear. This is a great idea that opens a lot of new doors. Very cool!

Doc Weaver
Old 04-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #8

Geof,
I too like the slide in a van idea. Have you ever seen one and do you think it would be pretty simple to design/construct? Would be a great way to make a weekend camper that could be used as a daily driver too. Since a van is basically a smaller version of a motorhome, I think it is feasible to make. Hmmmm, as Doc said the wheels are turning now. Time to take the sawz-all to my mini-van :-)
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #9

....SLIDES ARE NOT COMPLICATED UNTIL THEY GO TO ENGINEERING.....THEN THINGS GO NUTS.....To add 2 feet inside- slides need 3 feet of slide and a bunch of problematic nightmare stuff to make then work when needed....sliding out is no biggie but pulling them back in and holding them tightly in place is the problem.....so they get over engineered and to save weight they make them with minimal materials....compounding the problems......on a van they could be lightweight materials like vinal and canvas or even air supported like the military huts used now.....only a fan to hold them up and out...deflate and pack up and leave.....simple and easy to handle.....ground stakes to hold them in high wind or even a water sock around the perimeter....drain-deflate-roll up and off you go.....VW had a pop up vanwagon that was kinda cool and with a few mods could be expanded for more than 1.5 small people....I camped in one and needed medication for my back and neck....needs to be larger for me!.....just a few ideas for you to think about....after all the military does quite well in the deserts-rain forests-and arctic regions in a tent type thing....geofkaye....remember how the kazoo type party favor worked on just a little air!....long and narrow rollout paper tube-which recoiled when there was no air pressure?....huummm
Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #10

Long time, no see!

Been on a 1400 mile trip in the old beast, including a stop at Disneys Ft Wilderness, and living the dirtbike life when I get the chance!

Even survived losing both right rears on an overpass at highway cruising speed...some say lugs too tight, others too loose, but all were snapped off...keep a close eye on your nuts is all I can say!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #11

Wow, that's great you've been on the road. That'd be scary losing both drives. Truck looks great.