Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #1

I am considering a HDT motorhome conversion, if I furnish the truck what kind of costs have occurred for a decked out 45'? I really want a custom interior design and I don't care for the class C look. Who would you go to, etc?

azrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 11:59 AM   #2

Man, if you're talking about a full-on, looong, luxurious, showboat of a rig, I would be knocking on Kingsley Coach's door. Check the links section under "Motorhome Mfr's" on this site. I'll bet that's what you're looking for.

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #3

....but if you want another opinion contact Randy at ButlerMotorHome......he has a air ride extended cab which is a real treat to drive and live in.....most other manufactures/converters knock out the air ride system when doing aconversion.....geof kaye
Old 02-13-2005, 04:05 PM   #4

Thanks to you both, have beem to both sites and especially like what I see at kingsley, Have requested info from Butler as their website doesn' have enuf info.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:44 PM   #5

Yeah, I think Randy's site is due for a little update surgery, but I suppose he's a busy guy, so I guess we all just gotta put in the occasional E-mail or phone call.
ARE YA HEARIN' THIS RANDY???
Gary
PS- azrandy, best of luck in your search for the "BIGRIG" of your dreams!
Old 02-13-2005, 09:33 PM   #6

AZ.....do your home work careful and take your time about the little things that make a conversion unique and comfortable for you and your family....[or girlfriends- or peasant women or lot lizzards... what ever your perfer anotherwords]....geof kaye
Old 02-14-2005, 06:42 AM   #7

There is no doubt that for an investment of this nature, I have a lot of time to come to a conclusion, the wife and I agree that it's all a matter of timing, whether we get a Winnebago or a beaver or a Dynamax or HDT conversion. Truckpaper has every kind of truck imaginable.
Thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 04:42 PM   #8

Just keep this in mind- whatever you decide on for a truck, make sure it is MORE than you think you'll need. After a while, "just enough" will come up short. Trust me on this.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:03 PM   #9

I like the KW T2000 or the Peterbilt 387 and I'll keep the HP up and settle for a 10 speed if I can't find an autoshifter I like or a Freightliner converted day cab.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #10

I think you're on the right track, and once you put in a little wheel time with a 9- or 10-speed you'll find they are a real easy transmission to live with.
It's interesting that the earlier "Autoshift" trannies had a clutch pedal for "starting or stopping". Funny thing is, that's all most guys use it for with a manual. Ya gotta learn to "float 'em", after which life gets MUCH simpler. Best of luck to you. You're gonna have fun.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:45 PM   #11

azrandy -

A few more things to think about. Do not settle for a 10 speed, been there done that and have the poor resale to show for it on my last one. No one wants a manual tranny anymore.

Unless your thinking about a condo with walk through which you are better off buying used. Go with a new truck. By the time you buy a used truck and update it, modify it for the conversion, your only maybe $20,000 shy of a new truck. Unless we are talking a decked out new FL Classic, Pete or T2000.

If your thinking about a Beaver (big money), you can definetly go with a completey decked out conversion by say Show Hauler, NRC, Trendsetter, Renegade or Haulmark for approx $200,000. Kingsley will probably set ya back a 1/4 mill or more.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:03 PM   #12

First time poster. Just been lurking around and can't stand it any longer. I almost went the used truck route, KW T2000, but saw the light just in time. Sold the T-2 and bought a 2005 Sterling AT9500 with 450HP Mercedes and 12 speed Freedomline trans. Total cost after selling KW, saving cost of modifications and upgrades was about 21,000. For that amount I will now have a 2005 Showhauler sitting on a 2005 Sterling tractor. Think long and hard about the used tractor route.
dave mckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #13

......course the real question here is, How much of the work are you going to do yourself?.....Low ball[AKA "cheapazz"-me] spent $45,000 on truck trailer and all the gizmos....install was done by my crew[girlz] which is charged off on the business and other things......The tractor and trailer are just the way I want it-I would change nothing- the dog and I live as we want....the others whine and bitch but that is their nature....and they can stay at home! My rig is used for a fishing camp-a hunting lodge-a camping trailer and a commmand center when the dog is searching....we have had just the dog and myself sleeping in total comfort and we have had 12 volunteers with us when it's time for Maxx to do his search thing.......I can change out the total interior of the trailer in 20 minuites to whatever configeration/equipment I need .....including hauling my air boat -bass boat-and my VW TDI if necessary-[working on a "gator"]....make it for yourself and you aren't going to have to worry about resale-make it for the "general population" and it will sit on the lot!.....geof kaye
Old 02-22-2005, 11:11 PM   #14

azrandy, back to your original question on costs. A 30' to 34' conversion (44' total length) on a new Columbia will cost between $155,000 stripped down 30' single axle and $210,000 loaded 34' tandem axle. A new Columbia is priced somewhere between $72,000 (single axle, Mercedes, Freedom) and $85,000 (tandem axle, Detroit, Freedom) depending on when it was ordered, do the math to figure out the conversion cost. An alternative to a used chassis is the Freightliner Reconfigured Day Cab Program. Freightliner will take a fleet of lease return condo sleeper tractors and remeve the sleeper, refurbish and warranty the trucks, you check off the options you want just like ordering new. I have seen them sell for between $32,000 and $39,000. Most of the conversion companies will use your used truck. To get the custom interior may cost more depending on what you want, you can probably get what you want from Showhauler, NRC or United Specialties. I have seen some pretty nice motorhomes on used chassis. If you need financing, you may have trouble finding a lender unless it is a newer chassis since (I believe) conversions can only go back 2 chassis model years and still be titled as current year. I hope this helps you.

Bob

rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote