Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #1

Does anyone have any advise on how to repair/replace water damaged fiberglass reinforced plywood without replacing the complete panel? I bought a 99 Renegade toterhome that has some "soft" spots in the roof and sidewall above the driver. The water leaked in from where the previous owner drilled a hole in the roof for the CB antenna. The water then found it's way into the sidewall above the driver's area and finally it pooled in the bunk. I've removed the interior (I'm doing a complete remodel) but don't have the ability to remove/replace the complete panels.

sstdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #2

While not water damage, my Trail-lite had some disbonded spots on the outside walls. I drilled several small holes in the void and injected 9309 Hysol resin then placed a rubber vac mat on it and placed it under vaccum for a few hours to keep it flat. That was three years ago, and it has not disbonded again. It still looked fine before I left for Iraq. I repair aircraft for a living, and that is how we fix voided honeycomb structures.

Dodger

Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #3

.....I do the same thing only use a different product and I'm a lot cheaper than the US Government when it comes to pricing repairs .... I use a bulk instant glue kinda like "superglue" inject with an 18 gauge needle and a syringe....vacuum pad is just a rubber membrane that is about a foot square -made out of roofing rubber coated on the back side with soap and water to form a good seal and the hole for suction is just a 1/2 hole cut into the ribber....sometimes I tape the edges with packing tape after drying them with a hair dryer....takes about 15 minutes to get a good seal with a vacuum cleaner and them I stick in the needle and inject the area...turn on the vacuum and wait for a half hour then it is done except for filling in the holes from the needle with silicone....I charge about $200 a sqft with no warranty.... it ain't rocket science.....only thing is to draw a vacuum first to check for water....if water then one has to do things a little different...and more costly of course.....most delams are dry in the summer anyway and wet in the winter.....geofkaye and the Rivercity Group...freezing in Cincinshitty Ohio......
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #4

Ha, Ha, Yes the US Government taught me how to do it. However for the record I did buy the vaccum pump myself for sucking down A/C systems. The Hysol was another story, but it was expired for aircraft use. Thanks for pointing that out Geofkaye!