Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #1

Geof or anyone else.

I want to paint my frame before I cover it. Do you recommend putting on the Mounting tape (VHB 3m tape) before paint or after. (of course leaving the red peal off cover on until after you paint.) Does it stick to the metal better than paint? I notice mose guys putting on the tape then spraying undercoating on the lower metal. I worry about it not sticking to the paint as good as the metal?

Rich

RBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #2

My past experience with VHB is that it will stick to the paint just as good as it will the metal assuming the paint is going to stick to the metal and the paint is clean/degreased. I have had the VHB pull the paint off of vehicles that were not prepped properly prior to the paint application.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #3

Bill is right. It will stick to paint plenty good enough as long as you prep it right. I am an autobody tech by trade and I have seen it pull paint off. My .02 worth would be to paint it first and then put the tape on it. Less chance of moisture getting under the primer and paint than tape over bare metal. just my opinion though. lol
193257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #4

....there is no excuse for pulling paint off bare metal these days.....with all the primers and surface treatments/sand blasting/dipping available to do the job.....such as 2 part epoxy primers/polyiso's and ureas's......anytime there is a surface failure -it is because of the prep.....not the top coat-unless scratched.....the newer polys/Urea's etc. and things like 2 part CARAC -[Dupont's Imron] will outlast any kinda weather conditions ...IF THE PREP IS DONE RIGHT.....anytime you see any bare metal on the frame or anyplace....start complaining rather loud and grab the owner where the hair is short.....there are undercoats that will stick to bare metal but not half as well as a painted surface-they were never made to be a paint...only a rust preventer by encapsulation-keeping oxygen/water/salt from getting in contact with bare mental......watch the coating process carefully before you take posesssion of the rig....the only undercoater is a Black Tar Epoxy made by Rust-oleum that is made to cover bare metal on the bottom of river barges and around salt water-that I know of first hand.....geofkaye
Old 03-11-2006, 07:14 AM   #5

Thanks guys for all the great advise. Rich
RBlack is offline   Reply With Quote