Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #1

Heres what i need for an rv I'm hoping some of you here can tell me where to start.
Have at least 6'7" interior height space since I am about 6'3".
Small enough for me to maneuver along on back country roads so about 27 feet.
I will be using it to boondock for weeks at a time.
It just has to fit me and someone else occasionally in it, I plan to full time with it but i will be spending alot of time outside of it working in all kinds of conditions and going inside to pretty much sleep and shower.
It's going to be an rv for gold prospecting and rockhounding.
and the final thing is that it needs to be cheap.

I can weld, do the plumb, carpentry, electric work and install AC's by myself and i am hoping I can learn the rest This thing can take a year or two to build.
Well this is the end of my tall order i hope you guys can help

Old 03-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #2

Hello Ed, I am doing kind of the same thing. I have already done it to a pull trailer that I take to the races. I bought a sink with the vanity and hot and cold water from Home Depot. I put in a room a/c, water and dump tanks I bought at the salvage yard and mounted them under the floor between the frame rails. The key is finding this stuff without going into the RV Supply stores....they are really high in price. Go to truck trader . com and look for the used Ryder Trucks, Freightliner FL-70, with the cummins 8.3 motor. They can sell for around $15,000 and they are in pretty good shape. I've been looking a lot. That's one way. Rich

Old 02-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #3

Hi There,

How about something really made for off-road? A surplus military 5 ton or 2 1/2 ton can be had for cheap, are really rugged, and can be built on.

I know because I had one built on a 5 ton a few years back. Heavy as heck, but could go most anywhere, you couldn't hurt it if you tried, and I found that it was not picky about what I fed it.

Hope this fuels the imagination if you're still thinking about it.
DieselJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #4

DieselJake,
Do you have any pics of that 5 ton conversion you used to own? Off road I bet it was fine, but I assume over the road comfort/speed/mileage was marginal at best. Did you keep the stock engine and rear gears in it? Thanks.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #5

Hi Gorila,
Sorry to say I don't have any pics of my old rig. Come to think of it, I haven't seen it running around here lately. Anyway, the top speed for my M813 was 60 +/- and ran the original Cummins NHC 250 w/ 5speed od. Ran best at 50 +/- and milage was 6-8 mpg, glad it wasn't choosy what kind of sludge I fed it to run on; mostly waste motor/hyd oil. Try to google "Charlie's Truck". He did a great looking job and used a 2 1/2 ton. That should give some food for thought.
DieselJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #6

....I HAVE A 5 TON IN A SALVAGE YARD IN KY....5 TON.... I THINK-WASN'T PAYING MUCH ATTENTION THAT DAY...LMK....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #7

Take a look at the freightliner listed in the for sale column of this web site. It might be a little big for what you are using it for, but it would last you a lifetime
MHensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #8

....MHensley...I'm on my way Monday or Tuesday as soon as I can make it...geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote