Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   In the paint booth (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/paint-booth-6105/)

Doc Weaver 10-25-2011 12:49 PM

well in my opinion, most conversions are better looking than many of the mainstream RVs. I don't care. there are plenty of RV parks that need money and don't care what you drive. :)

I used to own and drive entertainer coaches, and now drive trucks. Mainstream Class A RVs may camp well, but they drive horrible. I had to borrow one to go to the katrina disaster area. Holy Cow! I white knuckled that thing for 1000 miles.

andyg 10-26-2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Weaver (Post 37597)
I used to own and drive entertainer coaches, and now drive trucks. Mainstream Class A RVs may camp well, but they drive horrible. I had to borrow one to go to the katrina disaster area. Holy Cow! I white knuckled that thing for 1000 miles.

Nice looking paint job Doc. That thing sure is shiny! Your comment about the store bought RVs (aka Sticks-N-Staples) driving poorly is interesting. I've never driven a big camper but I have driven Dad's coach conversions (MCI 8 and Provost) asa well as my FLD120 toter and they all drive great. No nervous moments since the suspension is all heavy duty.

Doc Weaver 10-26-2011 10:22 AM

thanks Andy.

Look behind you next time you pass a generic RV with that truck. they will be doing everything they can to keep it on the road from the wind you made.

racer54 10-26-2011 11:13 AM

Hi Doc,
Truck looks great. What brand and type of paint did you use? Would you use the same paint again? I'm only asking because I hope to paint my FL70 within the next two months.

Doc Weaver 10-26-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer54 (Post 37600)
Hi Doc,
Truck looks great. What brand and type of paint did you use? Would you use the same paint again? I'm only asking because I hope to paint my FL70 within the next two months.

I got a whole dissertation on truck paint vs auto paint. Best I can come up with is how many time you have to coat it. ie: three coats of auto paint or two heavy coats of truck paint. Anyhow, it was BASF Limco single stage urethane (auto paint) and yes I would use it again. It took 4 gallons to paint my fl60 and 24' box, but the steps, bumper and back door are black and gray. I would look at 5 gallons if you want to do the whole thing one color. I was told that "truck paint" could do it in three. Of course, I was told a lot of things :)

Dodger 11-14-2011 11:45 AM

Doc, that "thang" looks amazing! Makes me want to run out and paint mine today even though it is not even close to being ready for that. I still have not even decided on a color yet! Can't wait to see that salsa red monster going down the road.

Doc Weaver 11-15-2011 07:41 AM

Thanks Dodger. I must say it feels good to finally get it to look good

RaceItAgain 11-17-2011 06:18 PM

Doc your truck looks great.
When are you going to build your air deflector for windshield noise?

Doc Weaver 11-17-2011 09:41 PM

I still have a new grille and bug deflector to install.

PW4550 09-15-2013 07:13 PM

It looks amazing!

bydesign 10-03-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Weaver (Post 37573)
Grande Rojo in Salsa Red

The white down the side is a reflection not flaws

holy crap! that looks fantastic! Nice work... want to pant mine?