Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-04-2005, 03:18 PM   #1

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to use hydraulic rams to level/stabilize their large RVs. Right now the truck seems to sway alot when ever anyone moves around in the box. The truck (before conversion) weighs in at 18000#. Right now it has a lift gate on the back thats coming off but we were thinking about leaving/stabilizing the electric over hydraulic setup on the truck to use for various things. If anyone have any thoughts, comments, or pictures of what they did it would be much appreciated.

~Kirk

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:08 AM   #2

Do a websearch for Bigfoot levelers. They aready make what you're looking for wiht all the controls you'd need.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:41 AM   #3

Kirk; i second WERA`s post

i just got the Bigfoot leveler kit for the "387" Pete that we are building :
very nice and complete kit (everything is there; welding plates, nuts& bolts, manual, wiring harness,....), easy to install (no thick hyd lines to run ; every foot has its own hyd pump/tank)....not bad for under $3000 delivered
all the parts look to be very high quality......im realy impressed
we went with the HD auto leveling setup; 4 of the 26" long rams (20" lift) mounted 10" off the ground (rated to lift the complete conversion clearly off the ground).
the foot pads are very large at 10"x10" (we camp a lot in the sand/desert) but i think i will make some 16"x16"x1" plywood pads to slide under the feets for realy soft areas
i will have pics of the parts/ installation soon
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:33 AM   #4

Thats basically what I was looking for. Personally I don't mind doing all the plumbing and using 1 central pump. I would with and service heavy equipment ever day so the hydraulic aspect isn't really a problem. From the looks of their website they bolt directly to the frame? Does the provide a wide enough stance when you are out in the desert or soft terrain? I was thinking about trying to build some kind of truss that spaced then 8"-12" off the frame one each side. Also, how do you determine where they are supposed to go?

Thanks,
~Kirk
Old 12-05-2005, 11:35 AM   #5

Save yourself alot of work on the out rigger idea, use a set of Bigfoot levelers and just carry large pads for real soft ground. You will be rock solid stable.

Check with Jason at Big Foot on placement. On both of mine conversions the front jacks where located just behind the fuel tanks up front (on this rig they are slightly staggered). On the back they are just behind the rear wheels. (Single axle)
Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 PM   #6

....one word...."BIGFOOT"....don't waste your time with anything else....looked at a sign truck an the guy has 3 Hydraulic levelers....$8500 installed....will lift the front of the truck 6' in the air....but for what-we don't do signs do we?....geofkaye
Old 12-06-2005, 12:26 AM   #7

I'll look into the Bigfoot kits. For me right now 8500 is pretty steep when for about 1000 installed I can have something that works just as well. The main thing I was looking for was ram placement. Does anyone have any close-up detailed pictures of the Bigfoot style jacks? I assume they work similar to a trailer jack on a semi trailer or heavy equipment trailer where there are 2 box beams that slide inside each other. If anyone has any schematics that might have come with their kits that they could scan in it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:25 AM   #8

Kirk
here are some pics:

one of the hyd rams; something like 3.75"x 26" and frigging heavy...its a two-way cylinder ; no return spring to brake/loose

the 4 tank/pump/solenoid boxes; can be mounted direct onto the ram or remote...gives you a lot of ram placement freedom.

there are heavy weld on brackets included; some guys weld them right to the truck frame upright...i personaly do not like welding on the tempered steel beams and will weld the mounting plate to a base plate that is bolted to existing holes in the frame.
the two front rams will be placed after the front axle (right between the front spring hangers and the battery/toolboxes).
the two rears will be right in front of the rear spring hanger.
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #9

spooner... how is the ram retained inside the ring (kept from sliding out the top)? This is exactly what I had in mind to do. Thanks for the pictures.

~Kirk
Old 12-06-2005, 04:54 PM   #10

Hey Kirk-
I think you misunderstood something (maybe not?); the $8500 install Geof mentions was for the sign truck, NOT a Bigfoot install. Spooner (above) mentioned the "kit" was $3000 delivered, and I doubt very much it would take $5500 in labor to put it in. Anyway, just though I might clear up a possible misunderstanding.
Carry on......
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:28 PM   #11

....correct elmundo! Gary....the sign truck hydraulic setup is a three point with a hundred foot pole crane/man hoist -it needs to be level to stop tip over side to side and the easiest way to stop side to side tip is with 1 stiff leg in front and 2 outrigger side feet about 8' from each side of the truck in place....neat and safe and compact BUT they cost a bundle....all hydraulic off both a poney engine and PTO unite.....geofkaye
Old 12-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #12

Yeah... I misunderstood what he was saying. Where did you get yours for under $3k?

~Kirk
Old 12-07-2005, 04:13 PM   #13

I didn't get them; Spooner did.
Check futher back in this thread for his post.
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:11 PM   #14

I going to be different. I'm trying the equalizer system. I got the manual control from Jeff at Rvaddons.com http://www.rvaddons.com/default.asp?cmd=home&UrlToken=C...YO7MV5&UrlID=306 0687

$2450 delivered. He knew about all the systems and swears by this system. He claims is has more pressure and only one pump to install. (Requires less room on your truck to install) I hope I'm not going wrong, but have had a great working relation with Jeff. He is on the ball. I'll let you know. They should be here soon.

Before ordering, the cheapest I could find the bigfoot was $4350. However, just recently I found on www.azrvinc.com a full auto bigfoot system delivered for $2995. Not a bad price.

I'll let you know on my levelers.

RBlack is offline   Reply With Quote