Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Default Is this one worth the trouble.

1984 Peterbilt Custom Motorhome For Sale

It looks like someone took a travel trailer and put it on the back of a Peterbilt. While the paint job looks nice, I might have trouble pulling into the race track with the the corrogated travel trailer siding and roof showing. Here are my thoughts:

1. Could the current siding and roof be removed and either aluminum trailer sheeting for FRP be attached to "clean" it up.

2. Could the door be lowered so that the steps were inside the trailer (errrr ... coach)?

The price seems really low; I'm concerned too low.

3406B Cat with 15 speed fuller trans. Anyone have opinions, experience, or comments about the engine/trans combo?

I appreciate the effort that everyone puts into their responses. I learn something almost everytime I read a new post!

Dick

Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #2

looks nice. whats the difference between Canadian truck. is every thing in metric? 3406b is a great engine. transmission should be ok also. what if you just sheeted over sides and put new roof over them?

volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

I think somebody once said the Canadian trucks have a larger gap between the two drive axles. Hard to see in that one picture. Looks not too bad and great price. Be nice if you could go get a look at it. For sure I'd have it inspected by a good truck place. The length sounds wrong though. My FL112 tractor is 10' long, bumper to back of cab. Is that big Pete only 6'?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #4

Good point on the length. The specs I've seen on Peterbilt 379/359/389 is 132" (11') bumper to back of cab (BBC). Another thing to put on the list.

Thanks!
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #5

Have you been to a dirt track lately? That thing would be the crown jewel at our local track! lol.

Looks long on functional and short on pretty, but hey, do you just want to get down the road, or do you want to look good?

But the price is definitely for the low budget.

He must be counting the cab area as part of the "living area" unlike the way you would normally measure a TC. Maybe the seats swivel around like a class A.

I would think doing a major reskinning on something like that would be more trouble than it is worth. A lot of those older travel trailers had a steel frame, but with wooden studs etc. inside the walls. I can imagine that being a nightmare when you tear it apart, the skins supports the wooden structure almost as much as the wood supports the skin. If you did not end up the exact same wall thickness, none of the windows or doors or vents fit anymore.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #6

Default 359 length

I think Hot Rod is wright about the length. My 1982 359 is the standard or short length and it is 119" bac of cab to bumper. The longer ones are 127".
Attached Thumbnails
IM000739.jpg  

Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote