Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-01-2003, 07:39 AM   #1

So I've been looking at truck conversions for about a year now. I've been able to see the Elite Motorcoach (posting pics shortly) in person but not Show Hauler. Being 6'4 I really like the idea of a higher ceiling not to mention the fact that I can basically design my own look. Based on the floorplan I need (2 adults 4 children), I need the biggest box I can get on the chassis. I still haven't been able to drive one though. So I've got a few questions...

1. Where can I drive one?
2. How would it compare to my Newmar diesel pusher as far as drive, noise level, passenger comfort?
3. I've had independent front suspension on two motorhomes. Not having that on the Volvo or Freightliner, would I notice it?
4. What would be some legitmate reasons for not going with a truck conversion over a standard class-a diesel pusher or bus?

I've got more but that's a start for now.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:56 AM   #2

I'll give these a shot

1 - are you anywhere near Atlanta?
2 - Slightly noisier and I'd say more comfy since they have less sway than a class A.
3 - Seriously doubt it.
4 - Not getting the conversion? Dunno, I've got a bunch to sway people the other way but really don't know what the draw of a regular RV is so I can't help you there sorry.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing

WERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:58 AM   #3

Oh yeah - I'm 6'4" as well and have no height issues with the Showhauler, the interior feels roomy and has plenty of headroom with the regular height ceiling. Plenty of room in the shower as well especially with the skylight.

Sean P. Clarke
Old 12-01-2003, 08:02 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WERA:
Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was in Atlanta yesterday. I live in Tallahassee. Given the larger size, I would have twin axles on the rear so I'm assuming that would make it drive better anyway.

Brian
Old 12-01-2003, 08:41 AM   #5

Brian -

You definitely want to drive one before buying.(you know that though) I never had a pusher, though I have driven one and a conversion is going to be louder in the drivers compartment. I had gas Class A's and I would say it is comparable to that noise, with the whistle of the turbo most notable.

As for driving characteristics, a truck conversion is much more stable on the road, less body lean, very stable in cross wind conditions. I will relay my Florida trip again, when we hit the upper half of Florida we had 30 mph plus cross winds which I didn't even know about (other than watching RV's of all types bobbing and weaving all over the road) until we stop at a rest area. I had a guy pull in with a Country Coach that I past early and he came up and asked about the rig and how I was cooping with the wind. I laughed, because I didn't even realize it was blowing that hard, I had no problem with the wind at all. This is the very reason I bought a conversion was for this stability in all conditions. Later that week we rolled back up through a major blizzard in Tn, Ky and Ohio and again I maintained 55 mph and had no problem with the wind and snow. I will say I did not see or pass one motorhome on the road that day, though we did talk to 2 couples in a rest area that did not feel safe on the road in those conditions and decided to sit it out.

Do these ride like a full air ride pusher, which are setup for a soft comfy ride, probably not. But I have air ride up front, a very long wheel base, and single rear axle so my conversion has a very plush ride. Since I never owned a pusher, my wife never got use to the near silence a pusher affords up front, but then again my wife has never had a issue with noise or looks for that matter, some women may or do.

As far as the interior goes, there is nothing that compares to real wood. I can only speak for Show Hauler, but you have real wood, so the interior is built to take the abuse a family can put on drawers, cabinets, doors, ect..

We leave X-mas day for Florida from Ohio and with 300 gallons of fuel, we wont have to leave the highway at all, not to hunt for fuel, place to sleep, or food. I love that.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:26 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WERA:
I'll give these a shot

Sean P. Clarke

Sean...is there a dealer in Atlanta where I could drive one?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 12-04-2003, 04:49 PM   #7

brian, mase sanford. i've had both a pusher and a conversion; i will not go back. don't know if you know of ken robertson rv in lakeland (oh everybody this is the best rv repair in the world) go buy ken's and ask their opinions on the better choice of rv's. i know their answer but you are goin' to have ask them, they work on prevo's all the time talk to lester burgess. conversions are like everything else---- it's about choice. the engine noise is some louder in the front, but not bad. you have a better chance of knowin' that something is wrong before you wind up on the side of the road, the rear is quiter when you are on the road so that naps are better, when you are tryin' to get the cause of the p'bm found and cured it's easier , oyu fold the hood over and look , you don't have to go through the bedroom or look around in the dark hole to try to see what may be wrong. then you can get most truck stops to work on the conversion (gladley) while i'm not to sure about the bus ( yeah i am too). oh, if you need to change or want to change a portion fo your drive line (transmission) way easier on a big truck. oh-- no greasy boot prints in the interior of your coach when repairs are made. yeah i'm sold on the whole concept. hope that this helps. mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:59 PM   #8

brian, mase, renegade-kibbie and dynamax are in elkhart in. and showhauler is just s.e. of elkhart. it would be a very profitable couple of days to spend there gonig through the factories. nothing beats your own eyeball. mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 07:44 AM   #9

There aren't any Showhauler dealers here but you can drive mine if you're in the area. The closest dealer to here is in Cullman, Alabama I'm sure Lance would let you test drive what they have on the lot. (www.racerigs.com) It's been a while but last time I was there he had a 30' Renegade.

Sean P. Clarke
Old 12-05-2003, 09:53 AM   #10

There aren't any Showhauler dealers here but you can drive mine if you're in the area. The closest dealer to here is in Cullman, Alabama I'm sure Lance would let you test drive what they have on the lot. (http://www.racerigs.com) It's been a while but last time I was there he had a 30' Renegade.

Sean P. Clarke

Sean...I would be looking for an automatic. Is that what you have? I'm going to be in Alabama the week of the 15th. I'm looking now to see how close it is to where I will be near Tuscaloosa and if I have time to get up there.

Brian
Old 12-05-2003, 10:27 AM   #11

Ours is the 10spd auto shift, clutch to start and stop but that's it. Check out the website and call Lance, he's nearer to Tuscaloosa than I am and might have a full auto.

Sean P. Clarke
Old 12-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #12

Ours is the 10spd auto shift, clutch to start and stop but that's it. Check out the website and call Lance, he's nearer to Tuscaloosa than I am and might have a full auto.

Sean P. Clarke

Sean...just called Howards. They have no Show Haulers in stock right now. They have a 30ft Renegade with a 6 speed auto.

Brian
Old 12-14-2003, 07:34 AM   #13

Bummer. Oh well, my offer is still open if you're in the Atlanta area. I'm all over the place at racetracks startting Feb 7-8 and on through to about Nov 1 if you or anyone wants to see it without the dirve over here

Sean P. Clarke