Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

Default Newbies basic questions

I own a 2003 Volvo truck for my farm business and would like to also pull my new (used) toy hauler with it. I like to leave the double achsles as this truck still needs to pull grain trailers as well. Since I have 4 kids, I would like to remove the bed in the sleeper and create 4 seats with seatbelts. Any advice on this? Are there legal issues with this? Canada/Alberta registered truck.

Also the electrical connectors to the trailer are a RV7, is there are simple conversion kit or schematic? What do I need to do to get the electric brakes on the trailer to work with the truck brakes?

THANKS!
Johannes

jhedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #2

I took a spare trailer whip and plugged it into the back of the sleeper, ran it under and up into the back left corner of the sleeper where I put a junction block for my connections. The ABS power wire I used to operate the isolation relay to power the camper power wire going out to the 7 flat RV connector. The power for the camper power wire I got from the sleeper power port up by the controls in the sleeper ( it was a 30 amp circuit and I put a reseting fuse up under the dash for it ). By doing this you do not have to remember to unplug the camper when you park. The turns and brake lights have to be run thru a 3 to 4 wire trailer adapter that I got thru Napa. The elec. brake control was put just under the dash and run off the 30 amp power wire with the brake wire going back to the junction block. By making a seperate cord like this the origenal plug and wiring is stock and when you want to pull your camper you just plug in the camper cord .
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0279.jpg  

Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply and the tips, that should help a lot!
Do you use an air operated brake controller?
Johannes
jhedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #4

Sorry forgot to say that. I used a electric brake control and used the signal from the brake lights to trigger the controler. I also put two sets of lap belts in the back two corners of the bunk for my two daughters that are 8 and 10. Good luck, John.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #5

Max air brake system for the Trlr brakes and a Jackolopee system for the Trlr electrical ran to a separate plug for the Rv, run this outta your Trlr power receptacle on the back of the truck. This will match up nicely, truck too Rv wiring.

Additional seating, just make sure they are bolted in a similar fashion as the front seats with proper seat belts and secured to the truck as same as front seats. The anchoring points need to be strong, if case of god forbid, a accident
coal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #6

Hello new member i have 1972 pete single aluminum frame. What year aluminum frames from that era would be the same. I waiting for the frame specs. Thank you.
hhhace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #7

Have you looked around on the Escapee's HDT forum: HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum

There's lots of people using HDT's to pull their 5vers there. I think that HHRV Resource Guide has tons of info for you.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum!!

you need to go to that escappees site and read up on the Jackolope, its a box specifically designed to convert semi truck to RV wiring with out sending error codes to the CPU on the semi, then on to the dash.

Follow Bobs advise and lurk or join the Escappees HDT forum..
Tell those guys that Bob and Blizz told you to post.

then come back here and tell us all about your rig and your travels.

blizz

Tags
toy-hauler, volvo