Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   newbie starting century class (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/newbie-starting-century-class-5794/)

Auto_Jeff 12-27-2004 05:58 PM

Hello from Virginia. I have a 99 century class tractor that I am going to convert. I have the truck and have purchased the rear half of a frame from a Columbia. I plan on extending the wheelbase 8 feet 6 inches. I will add 2 driveshafts. Instead of cutting the truck in half and adding 8 feet in the middle which will cause me to have two joints and more reinforcement, I will cut 6 feet off the original truck and add 14 feet from the sacrificial one https://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emo...icon_smile.gif Then I will move the 2 axles back to the factory locations on the added section. Do any of you masters have any thoughts to share on this subject? I plan on a DIY project from start to finish. I am furiously reading and learning stuff. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?? I will be taking pictures along the way. I have alot to learn. Keep up the postings . Thanks JEFF

SIBERNUT 12-28-2004 05:50 AM

Jeff, I think you should consider the legal aspect of doing the frame yourself.
You might consider getting on www.escapees.com for more sources of good info, both forums are great.

SIBERNUT 12-28-2004 06:13 AM

OK, 2nd reply, sorry.
I am a DIY guy myself (see webshots below). I spent 20 yrs in insurance claims, and I think if something failed in your conversion that hurt or killed someone (like a frame modification by a non-professional), you'd be paying for it the rest of your life. Even with my (IMHO) experience , I would not do the frame myself. Sub it to a shop & do the rest yourself. Then you have a legal course of action and peace of mind. Consider standing in front of 12 idiots & saying you did it yourself, 20 tons and 65 MPH.

Auto_Jeff 12-28-2004 06:09 PM

Thanks SIBERNUT. I looked up the suggested forum and found pics of your volvo. Looks nice... I did not say but I am a Body Shop Owner and have cut many a car in half every way. While that does not qualify me for a chassis cutting and extension, I am studing the process and feel very good about the outcome. I am aware of the legal rams and know I will be the manufacturer. Its done every day so I want to do my own. I don't want to be hardheaded though. Any help out there for me???? Thanks JEFF

SIBERNUT 12-30-2004 12:45 PM

I too owned a body shop. It sounds like you are well qualified to do the job, but like I say, you can be sued for almost anything.
If I were to do that job, I would consider buying a frame section to sleeve it with, like dumps & mixers have. Many mfr's make a dump/mixer chassis, and they are doubled up. There is a guy on Escapees (butler motorcoach LLC) that does that stuff I believe. Put a post on that forum and ask him. Good luck with your project, and send pics to somewhere we can see them!

Auto_Jeff 12-30-2004 06:19 PM

Hey thanks SIBERNUT. I don't know if I can even navigate this site correctly so I will have to consider you words of wisdom on the DIY frame splice. I have a month or so before I start so I will look around. Im sure to have many other normal questions and will find the answer to some just reading about others... Thanks again I will take pics for the record. JEFF

SIBERNUT 12-31-2004 05:16 AM

Jeff, there's LOTS of experience on both forums you can tap into. Sometimes I find the Escapee's forum more user-friendly, this one bumps me out a lot. If I can help, send me a "private message" (I know you can do this on SKP's) & we can communicate off the forums. I am in Baltimore.
Have a great New Year!

rjdhomes 12-31-2004 09:27 PM

Jeff, the only chassis modifier that I know is certified by Freightliner is VRT, just north of Elkhart Indiana in Michigan. I've seen their work, they do a great job. Renegade, United Specialties and others send their chassis' there to be stretched.
Contact Tyson at (800)482-1839

Bob