Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #1

hey guys I'm new here. Great site, looks like a ton of good info. I have a 1976 Ford F750 that i would like to convert to a toterhome on a budget. Dont see too many of the older trucks done like this.
Here is a link i found of an F800 that is about like what i want to do http://www.wpvp.com/ford_f800/
I know I have a lot of research to do before i get started, but any info on how to get started or what something like this would cost would be great.

DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #2

....Easy!....need a 24' box with or without the overhang which isn't used much anyway....I'd get an air foil if you could....back door can stay if you need space for bikes or alike....I'd suggest you spend a lot of money on insulation with very few windows as the thieves usually enter a window and exit a door.....I'd suggest a foam insulation of at least R-14 in the walls and R-21 in the ceiling with a R-10 in the floor first. I AM suggesting wire run in conduit on the outside of the inside surface if this is not a high line coach but used for racing mudding or any sports related activity as usually dirt involved......bare floors are never good if there is a drop of water or oil around as someone is usually on their butt so we use walk off carpet that can be washed with a hose and dried over a fence and won't slip breaking someones butt or worse........use something on the walls like plywood or something easy to paint as it is easier to paint than wash all the time-it will get banged up if you use it a lot.....kids leave finger prints all the time-if there is grease it will be worse than you can imagine....GET A INCINOLET TOILET AND INSTALL IT WITH A VENT THREW THE OUTSIDE AND FORGET ALL THAT PLUMBING AND STORAGE CRAP. SAME WITH SHOWER AND SINK-DRAIN IT ON THE GROUND UNDER THE TRUCK-OR GET A BLUE PLASTIC TOTE AND HAUL IT TO THE DUMP PLACE IF YOU ARE FORCED TO........HOT WATER HEATER IS A MUST BUT COLD WATER IS OPTIONAL GET A LARGE TANK WITH A PUMP FOR WATER AND AN INSTANT HOT WATER HEATER THAT IS PROPANE AND LEAVE IT OUTSIDE WHEN IN USE-SAME WITH COOKING-DON'T COOK INSIDE/COOK OUTSIDE OR EAT OUT........any other questions just ask.....geofkaye [about $25k for a fairly good conversion on your truck]

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #3

Awesome! thanks, I need to look into where to get a box here is SoCal. I would prefer it to go over the cab if possible. It will be used for Dirt bikes, Quads, and a Race Baja Bug, not all at the same time though. I figure I need 14' of cargo area for the Baja Bug. I'm gonna get some measurements off of the truck and go from there.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #4

Hey DirtyDave-
You might check with those truck dealers that specialize in medium-duty trucks for used boxes. More specifically, try Specialty Truck Parts in San Jose ( www.specialtytruck.com ) or their partners in Stockton, Acme Truck Parts and Equipment ( www.acmeequip.com ). They usually seem to have quite a few boxes in stock. Best of luck to you!

Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #5

Thanks Gary, i see a lot of good used boxes on those sites. I might need to find a place closer to me to be able to pick one up or have it installed on the truck.
I think 22' would be the longest i can go with a box. I have 18' of frame and the C/L of the axle is 14' back from the cab. I would have to add 4' to the frame and this will put the axle 8' from the back of the box. Is that too much overhang in the back? what is an acceptable amount of overhang? wheelbase of the truck is 242"
Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #6

Just picturing it in my mind (always a hazardous move.....), a 22' box with 14' ahead of the axle should work well, at least weight-distribution-wise, and it will appear proportionate, with about 2/3 of it ahead of the axle. I guess it also depends on how the 8' of overhang might affect backing up with a trailer. There will be a bit of "swing"....

Gary
Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #7

Yeah I think it will work well with a 22' box. I'm gonna design it all in Solidworks. I'm not worried about towing much, the point of building this with cargo space in the back is to get away from towing a trailer.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #8

Yeah, my thinking on this is derived from my own plans for a truck conversion, which will use (so far...) an 18' box on a truck with an approx. 11' cab-to-axle dimension. When I drew it out it just looked SO right, so I figured that roughly the same proportions would work for you. Good luck on your project!

Gary