Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #1

My friend recently bought a fl-70 cummins with a automatic. How does he go about keeping this from being commercially tagged, I know it started life as a box van so no 5th wheel is currently on it. He plans on souly using it for pulling his toy hauler and never for any type of profit.

He bought it from utah and it should arrive this week sometime, no for emmisions concern being in california, this is a 2000 so it would probably be an electronic engine so it should be emmisions legal right?

He is also curious how this 240hp cummins with auto will pull his approximate 11k empty toy hauler or would it be best to have this motor turned up? This a a class6 truck now being it's a 2000 would it have to be electronically turned up or just through the fuel pump?

Compared to his 1997 f350 powerstroke will this fl70 out pull his f350?

also could his toy hauler be converted to air brakes? this truck seems to have a trailer supply valve so he is curious about that.

anyone from california tell me about any hassles you've had registering a class6 that came from another state and approximate costs involved.

jeffp1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #2

I'm not sure how much your friend had his f350 cranked up, so power wise it should be similar, but their are so many factors such as gearing and transmission ratios as to whether or not it out pulls the Ford.

Having said that, The FL70 will last forever pulling that toy hauler, with the most important factor SAFTEY! The bigger tires, brakes and mass of the FL70 will stop so much better than the Ford. The question about brakes tells me he has all ready had a stop or 2 that he wishes not to repeat.
-blizz

Old 11-22-2008, 05:24 AM   #3

Speaking of the emissions, you need to look forward to 2010 and what Califonia will require then. Being a 2000 it is already behind the curve. Many new regulations are taking effect with some mandating compliance for older model engines.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #4

....it seems that no matter what is legal kalifornication will not allow it to be licensed.....I wouldn't know where to start anymore.....I'd suggest an attorney that knows about Kali's regulations and a stack of hundreds.......geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #5

i just got done with my first trip in my FL60 w/ cummins ISB since conversion started (2700 miles in 6 days). NO PROBLEM! I climbed some very steep highways in high gear. So far I am very pleased with my purchase.

Doc Weaver
Old 11-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #6

....congrats DOC Weaver!.....missed your phone call-I'll try again Monday----busy as all get out and it doesn't look like it's going to end soon....maybe the RVIA Show in Louisville and the PRI Show in Orlando will finish the season this year......business is better than good and will be spraying insulation soon....call if I forget Monday after 1 and I will get back to you before 9pm....promise!....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #7

mid 98 upto about 2002 they ran the 24valve cummins with the vp hi pressure pumps,they are prone to failure and extremely sensitive to boost boxes or edge boxes which suck the delivery/liftpumps dry and cause both pumps to fail. Best reccommendation on any cummins is an inline lift pump guage mounted in the cab to monitor the pressure through the lift pump and filter assembly. some of the 5.9 vp pump motors had a #53 block which is the weaker of all the 5.9s,plus the vp 24valve cummins are the noisiest of the noisy...

cameron is offline   Reply With Quote