Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-10-2004, 02:02 PM   #1

I have been through 3 variations on RV's. I have always loved big trucks. Been around them quite a bit as a kid. My Dad was in the trucking industry for 35 years and still kind of is even retired. I currently have a F-250 Superduty and a Alpenlite Durango truck camper. Very well made but a little too small. I have an old Mustang that I road race thus I need to be able to tow which is why I gave up a 26 foot trailer for the camper. Wife isn't totally happy with the loss of room and cramped nature. My dream is this:
Either a Needlenose Pete or KW toward the end of production (late 60's) that has been updated/upgraded. Also partial to the first 10 years of Freightliner conventionals. Peterbilt 359 also on the list. From there covert or add a lounge to the tractor. Thinking trailer is the best way to go for hauling car/living quarters later on. Could go motorhome too. I know about the pitfalls of the old ones. Rough ride, worn out etc. Those things can all be addressed in time. Anyone have input or things to add to that. Hopefully I can transition in the next few years. I think my camper is worth the cost of the Tractor. Any inputs or comments welcome.
Kevin

2k PSD F-250 dually conversion
Alpenlite Durango Camper
Thinking Retro - Needlenose Pete KW or early Freightliner Conventional - Pre Diamler Benz

kblackav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:35 PM   #2

I have been looking around here trying to find an old, (late 60s) Mack B61 or B67 for a guy i talked to the other day. Any considerations agout one pf these? they look realy neat when restored.

PHELPS

RICHARD PHELPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:38 PM   #3

Well this page sort of got me on the Retro kick.
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com
If you dig around on there if you haven't already there are quite a few Mack photo's from shows. Out here in the West the Macks are less common. Far more KW/Pete/Freightliner's. I think there is a significant difference of what you see of old trucks from one coast to the other.
Anyone have any ideas on my original post?
Kevin

Alpenlite Durango Camper
Thinking Retro - Needlenose Pete KW or early Freightliner Conventional - Pre Diamler Benz
Old 02-14-2004, 08:32 PM   #4

Anyone have further input?

Alpenlite Durango Camper
Old 02-14-2004, 09:08 PM   #5

......I think retro can be really cool-but the cost of a refurbish would be a monster even a DIY....up grade to air ride-better brakes-easier to shift transmission-OY! what problems to ovecome-parts for those oldies may cause fainting.....anything before 85 would be a frame off....unless you have the luck of a Lotto winner...I'd stick with a more user friendly modern truck. IMHO..cars and P/U's are simple but even a free class 8 may just be a parts yard project for the next 5 years...I did talk to a show truck owner-[B series] last year at the Louisville Truck Show-the old guy claimed he had more than $200k plus his labor in it...I believe him-it was perfect.....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 09:37 PM   #6

I may not go super old. If I go just old enough - say 75-80, lots of those had air ride by that time. I would have to be picky and pay a little extra. I think I could find an appropriatly upgraded truck for easily under 20k. Here is an interesting twist. In my state, over 25 years old qualifies as a classic or historic vehicle and different licensing rules. An 86 359EXHD would suit me fine too. One with a flat roof / sleeper. I just think the older trucks without so much plastic are more cool.

Alpenlite Durango Camper
Old 02-14-2004, 10:12 PM   #7

.......I was just looking through this weeks "Big Truck Trader"...here is a 1957 B-61 mint with a 455hp 8V92/airide/lots of chrome/alums/new rubber from "west coast"...upgraded big time for $30k..in Kentucky 502-460-5557/502-345-4991....HTH....geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote