Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to orangepeel91

When I got my CDL the company i worked for was all super 10. 6 months later I said something REALLY stupid. "Sure I'll be a trainer".....

orangepeel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepeel91 View Post
When I got my CDL the company i worked for was all super 10. 6 months later I said something REALLY stupid. "Sure I'll be a trainer".....

😁 lol... I bet that was an experience for sure

TURNEROFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURNEROFFROAD View Post
😁 lol... I bet that was an experience for sure
I'm sure of that! Don't think I could do that....... To many stupid people out there to try to train....
Old 04-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #24

Some were good. Some very good. Others not so much. I still remember calling the safety department and telling them I wouldn't trust one of them with a Ford Ranger never mind a semi. He was still in 8th and still going 35 mph IN the toll booth lane. No such thing as electronic tolling then. At least not in common use.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepeel91 View Post
There is an error in how you were told to shift your Super 10. When making a button shift there is no need to move the lever in and out of the hole. Just lift your foot off the pedal. You can preselect the shift too. In other words shift into 9th for example and then as soon as you are accelerating in 9th you can flip the button for tenth and it won't shift until you lift your foot off the throttle. I used to do it all the time. I much prefer the super 10 to a range change. super 10 design is a splitter. range change has the lever on the front of the shift knob that you flip up and down. Button on the side is a splitter. 13 speeds and above have both.
I guess I never realized you could do that. Learn something new everyday.
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #26

Ever since Fuller went to the black plastic shift knobs (as opposed to the big round chrome ones), all range andsplitter shifts can be preselected. Range shifts (flipper on the front of the shifter) are completed as the stick moves through the neutral zone. Splitter shifts happen when you lift the throttle.

Depending on which transmission you have the range and splitter buttons are interlocked as to not allow certain shifts.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #27

I am a huge fan of the super 10. The ONLY reason there isn't one in my pickup is because it weighs 800lbs. I'm not kidding, it was an Eaton rep that pointed out the weight issue when I mentioned it at the show in Louisville a few years ago. I absolutely will not touch an Autoshift. There are two main reasons for this. One, I concentrate on my driving better with a manual. The second reason is failure. I have had to move several trucks with autoshift transmissions out of traffic and onto the shoulder of the road at work. I don't have to worry about servos, sensors and actuators failing with the Super 10.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #28

Sorry about the hi-jack but,
Orangepeel, have you had any issues with the range selector grinding between 5-6 and 7-8? Mine shifts fine (floating) between all the gears EXCEPT 6-7th. When I move the shifter to the far right, it grinds a little. It doesn't grind going into 7th, just the transition between slots. This started about a year ago when it was -30* out, and the truck hadn't been ran in a while. This particular instance, it would NOT shift out of low range...period. I figured there was some moisture in the air line that iced up on the selector. It shifts to the high side now, but it grinds every time.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric View Post
Sorry about the hi-jack but,
Orangepeel, have you had any issues with the range selector grinding between 5-6 and 7-8? Mine shifts fine (floating) between all the gears EXCEPT 6-7th. When I move the shifter to the far right, it grinds a little. It doesn't grind going into 7th, just the transition between slots. This started about a year ago when it was -30* out, and the truck hadn't been ran in a while. This particular instance, it would NOT shift out of low range...period. I figured there was some moisture in the air line that iced up on the selector. It shifts to the high side now, but it grinds every time.
I can't help you here. I haven't driven a Super 10 in 14 years. When I did the highest mile truck had under 350k on it. when I became a trainer I got a new truck. 10.6 miles new. Everything I've got access to is full auto. Either automotive or Allison.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #30

Finished my turbo install last night and took the truck for a drive. I have had this truck for 3 years, and didn't know it shifted that way. My wife even sounded like she wants to learn to drive it now, since it's "just" a 5 speed now.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric View Post
Finished my turbo install last night and took the truck for a drive. I have had this truck for 3 years, and didn't know it shifted that way. My wife even sounded like she wants to learn to drive it now, since it's "just" a 5 speed now.
There is another more important reason for your wife to drive it.
She may have to one day.

What if you have some kind of medical issue while away from home on a trip?
Maybe you sprained your left ankle. Minor but more than enough to make the clutch a sworn enemy.

i have always had a policy that my wife has to be able to drive ANY vehicle I own, just for that reason. She doesn't have to want to drive it. She just has to be ABLE to drive it. So far they've all been autos but I see a Super 10 coming at some point.
That is ok though, it will be easier to teach her how to shift a truck transmission BECAUSE she doesn't know how to drive a car with a stick.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #32

Turner,
How is the progress coming along? Settled on a floor plan design yet?

BTW, looking at the pic of your buggy, I'm guessing you live in the southern part of the states? I like the looks of it. Sweeping lines in the tubing (the reason I'm guessing south), but keeping the classic Willy's look.

Orangepeel, I agree wholeheartedly. My wife CAN drive it, she just prefers NOT too. Maybe now, she will take over the driving duties a little more...