Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #1

Need help folks. I could retire in approx 18 mos Our plan is to go full time RV. If I'm setting in one place for more that 30 days, then someone send flowers. I am a firm beleiver that Truck conversions are the wave of the future for serious RVers. I'm tired of going to an RV dealership that is not open on Sunday, dosen't have in stock, parts for my coach/chassis/motor or charges high prices because it's an "RV". I want to go down the road and not worry about the coach falling apart along the way. {My first direction of travel will be NW , ALCAN, ETC.) If something breaks I can pull into a truckstop, garage or possibly do it myself with standard parts from a real parts house. I currently have a 35ft class A w/460 gas on a John Deere/Oskosh frame. it seems to have most of the things that I want, a floor plan that I'm OK with and fair gas mileage 8-10mpg. I've test driven a 2003 Renegade 42ft, Freightliner w/450hp Mercedes 10 speed auto, it handled like a dream, get-up-and-go quick, very comfortable, in Mocksville NC. It was a garage model and I feel that I don't want a garage. I'm thinking of pulling a 24-28ft trailer with our CJ, Goldwing and other items that aren't neede all of the time. I've been told that a new truck is not required, to have the companies convert it. I've talked to Cowboy Cadillac, Renegade and several other mfg's. I think that I might try & go to OK to see Cowboy Caddies operation. I would also like to look at some other coaches in my area if possible, Jonesboro, GA near Atlanta. I need help guys. This is the only site that I've seen that people who actually have this type of rig spout off about the dos and don'ts of trk conv.
Thanks doc

docM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:00 PM   #2

deleted

onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:02 PM   #3

onezman:

I don't mean to sound snide or anything, but it might be a good start to read all the posts on this forum which apply to your situation. Doing that will give you a tremendous amount of information. Good luck with your search.

Larry

http://onezman.tripod.com/theredrose
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:52 AM   #4

Yep you were right on the money. I didn't look past the first couple of topics. after I started digging I found a ton of answers. This will give me a good heads up and let me ask the right questions at some of the dealers/vendors. I'll let you know when I get confused again. If yall get down thru this area give me a shout if you need anything. Doc
docM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:39 AM   #5

Mine most weekdays is up north of Atlanta in Canton right off of 575. I'd be glad to show it off even though during race season it's not at it prettiest. It's even for sale if you really like it

My trailer also might be of interest since I tend to load it about like you're talking - that however isn't for sale but it does ahve some cool things I've taken form other people over the years.

There are also pix of both at http://www.wera.com/graphics/showhauler/
Old 04-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #6

wera, mase, we're moving our home base to ellijay sometime the next 3 weeks; i'll have to get in touch with you then. we'll be maybe 30 miles apart. mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:33 AM   #7

Very cool, ELlijay is just up the road a piece. Got some friends that live out East of there off of Hwy52.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #8

sean, i'm out 52 west, i'll asume you are well informed about 52 west to chatsworth----- yes --- ??? we're just past the new bridge on mountian town rd. mase

vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote