Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Converting a 48' Great Dane trailer for racing. Looking for a used lift gate that will act as the trailer door and be rated for 6-7k lbs. Trailer is 102" wide, 138" inside height. Anyone have any leads or information on salvage yards or lift gate manufacturers? Looking for something used, possible from a wrecked trailer, that we can install ourselves rather than buy new.

Any leads appreciated.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #2

Good question. My son is thinking about doing this same thing. You can pick up a used box trailer for pretty cheap. The lift is going to be the biggest problem. I'd bet you'd pay as much for the lift as the trailer. I told him to look at some ramps. There is a company that makes extra long aluminum ramps for this application. I'll try to find them. Then you hang them on brackets under the box. My son's race car is very low tho so he's not sure it can be done for him.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #3

How about something like this:

http://www.discountramps.com/portable-dock-ramps.htm
Looks pretty cool to me. Each section weighs 80 lbs so easy to set up. Looks plenty long to load a low car. Don't need any power to run a fancy hydraulic motor or anything. And it'll handle 5k lbs per axle. I'm going to book mark that one.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #4

And they'll go to the back of a box truck too. That picture shows it going up to a loading gate but if you put them into a truck there is a bracket you can mount on the back lip of the truck to attach the top ramp to. Then I don't think you'd even need that top support stand.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #5

If you only need to load the truck deck, it is easiest to just build a door or use ramps. I need to get a car to an upper deck/attic. A lift or lift gate is needed, ramps won't work for me.

I made a good deal on an empty triple drop trailer. Plans are for two cars up and one down below, rest living or work space.

Thanks for the response.

-Matt
Old 05-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #6

AAahhhh, okay then. Good luck finding a lift gate. I have not idea who makes them but somebody does. Otherwise you could install a lift inside the back door. Ramp it in to the hoist, then raise it up. Then build a deck in front of the hoist to drive the car onto. Lower the hoist. Drive the next car onto the hoist. Raise it up and leave it on the locks there. Then drive the last car up the ramps and into the truck under the hoist. Ramps for $4k. Hoist for about $2k. The deck for the upper front car will be needed either way you go. Plus you have the hoist inside for working under the car if needed. A lift gate that goes to the upper deck won't help for working under the car. If you build open decks in then you can work under them. I don't know how easy it is to build an open deck tho.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:43 AM   #7

Good day to all.
Just digging up an old thread as I have been searching for a lift gate as well and have not found any info other than purchasing a new installed gate for $15,000.
I have seen quite a few trailers with a hydraulic system and some with a screw system. Is there any preference as the sellers all know that theirs is the best.
Thank you
Mark

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote